Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    I saw them most often in the BT places. What was Stellite, was that the hardfacing weld? I always heard that referred to as Cobalarc?
    Thinking back it was probably BT where I saw them too, they also seemed to find use for the dual SRD's.
    Yes stellite and cobalarc are both trade names, they always seemed to refer to cobalarc specifically when making good after drilling, presumably as it was easily arc welded, as from memory Stellite was a pain back in those days as it was more a factory thing deposited by oxy/acetylene.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    One of the Aussie or NZ fellas showed a patent for John tann by inventor ugo Bernard that mentions a glass protection plate in 1964/65
    Earliest Chubb one I can think of is TDR safe late 60's
    Anymore details on this post you made over in the Australian Commerce thread Gary? I've added it again here hoping this new thread could establish the earliest use of glass.
    Anything pre 1966 and non ministry ie, aimed freely at commercial markets will certainly put a good twist on things.

Great information thanks Huw.

I just asked Dad who was the Chubb NZ service manager back in the 60's, as to when he could remember Glass turning up. He could not recall exactly but he thought it turned up in the early 70's on Chubb safes in NZ.

There was a government cupboard, it had a name- like an Acton or something of the sort, a town name. Those were just a steel cupboard but they had a glass plate in them. Anybody jog my memory as to the correct name?

Those were used for document storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    There was a government cupboard, it had a name- like an Acton or something of the sort, a town name. Those were just a steel cupboard but they had a glass plate in them. Anybody jog my memory as to the correct name?

Those were used for document storage.
    The Actons were the early 'heavyweight' security cabinets and were fitted with the original WLN developed detector locks (photo,left)which were later superseded by the double bitted Mersey (Photo,right)
    Both detector lock and cabinet were found to be vulnerable to surreptious attack, hence the development of the Mersey lock and improved security cabinets.
    They used town and river names for many of the locks, doors and containers,Mersey, Medway, Oxford,Cambridge etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	20589

Default Australian Chubb safe glass

Had a search through Aus patents and found the glass activated relocker patent from 1969 which was introduced to the series or banker safe and later introduced to the other models. There is also a British patent 1963 for a glass by John Tann

Thread Information