Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default ID Key Blanks, possibly Chatwood Safe?

Found a few of these yesterday mixed in with hundreds of rusty Antique safe blanks. They are unusual in that they have tapered bits, a strange collar two thirds up the shaft, and round bows instead of more usual oval. They seem to shout Chatwood to me, and the bit matches the Chatwood in photo 2, I wonder if there were early single bit versions that had tapered bits? The Chatwood similarities could of course just be coincidental and that they are just boring old night latch blanks, but can't help thinking they might be a bit more special than that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	414.5 KB 
ID:	20573 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	20574

The lock that springs to mind looking at those is the single bitted version of the Chatwood impregnable lock.

Cheers gary, single bit Impregnable is what I was thinking, but i can't remember if any had tapered wedge bits or not as I auctioned my only lock a good few years back. Still makes me cringe, mint lock, hardly used with original key and it barely fetched 30 quid..

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Cheers gary, single bit Impregnable is what I was thinking, but i can't remember if any had tapered wedge bits or not as I auctioned my only lock a good few years back. Still makes me cringe, mint lock, hardly used with original key and it barely fetched 30 quid..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wedge-chat.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	20580

They look to be very long blanks for the grille gate locks, although I have only ever seen these with original keys.

They are 2.5 inches from back of bit to the bow, 4.25 inches OAL, and forgot to say in original post 5 gauge like chatwood's.

Thread Information