Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Harrishawk View Post
    Lock is clean and I polished the levers. So it runs very smooth. Key is also ready!
    So job done. Only to polish the outside and I have a nice safe.
    Very good condition paint!
    i don’t have my references handy but about 1890

Now that's a nice looking safe, looks beautiful condition and makes that Mosler you picked up look like a 1950s refrigerator!

Lol Huw! But I still like my refrigerator

Chatwood is done. Polished with antique wax but the brass still with patina.

Two keys and ready for his place in this house
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D42AAF9D-45EA-487E-B0BA-73B227A6EC36.jpeg   93778FAE-AB08-449E-9216-ED6981F3AC0F.jpeg   D782B1F8-9E43-4A54-A53C-2C16FB7CB009.jpeg  

Well done that's a lovely sheen from the wax, and an original example like that wins every time for me over the blinged-out over done restorations- that's beautiful !

I remember you are not a stranger to hands on precision stuff and you do a lot of lathe and mill work making fine pens but even so, cutting your own keys from blanks to a Chatwood lock is quite an achievement so well done all round, big pat on back and weekend beers well earned !

@safeman
    you wrote in a atoher topic about this safe Pre 1875. This type of lock first made around 1860. So this safe should be between 1860 and 1875?

And can someone tell me about the list numbers? This is list 3. But what is 2,4 or 5 for example. Is list numbers only by Chatwood?
    This is fire proof I think and also keep burlars out for a while?

I don’t know exact the difference between fire safes and burglar safes.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post

A little piece of memorabilia to put into your 'inexpensive' safe.

Attachment 20567

Thanks Huw! Yes, your are right. I make some pens.
    but always nice to hear that I did a nice job

Quote Originally Posted by Harrishawk View Post
    @safeman
    you wrote in a atoher topic about this safe Pre 1875. This type of lock first made around 1860. So this safe should be between 1860 and 1875?

And can someone tell me about the list numbers? This is list 3. But what is 2,4 or 5 for example. Is list numbers only by Chatwood?
    This is fire proof I think and also keep burlars out for a while?

I don’t know exact the difference between fire safes and burglar safes.
    Cheers!

The date has to approximate as the Chatwood records for safe and lock numbers can be misleading, and as I said earlier, the first safe number I found was 24621 and dated 1875.

Regarding List numbers, I attach a note giving each quality at the same approximate time as yours was produced. The List 3 does not appear to have changed specification after this time. Many safe companies used the term List as their prices per quality. i.e. Milner, Tann, and Ratner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood Safe & Lock Co. copy.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	20579 As to your question on burglar resistance, that depends on many factors - the skill of the burglar, which in turn depends on the desirability of the contents, access to the property and occupancy, noise levels of tools etc. The weight of the safe should preclude removal. (8 cwts approx.)

Lastly, the difference between fire and burglar resistance. Generally down to mass of material (see table above). Good fire resistance benefits from quality of chemical mix in body and door chambers. Chatwood use Cedar Wood sawdust with Alum Crystals. Also unlikely to burst open under falling masonary by body plate thickness and jointing.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the info!

Thread Information