Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default age? of older Corbin Padlock

On a recent trip to the outback in central Arizona I was exploring an old trash dump in the vicinity of Camp Date Creek (old 1867 army camp) set up for the protection of settlers from the native hostiles.

I found this lock in the debris field of what I thought was an outpost from the Date Creek camp 25 mi away.

Any help aging this lock may help me determine what this old camp actually may have been. Im betting the lock is not near old enough to be left from the circa 1860-70's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181120_154234_001_resized.jpg   20181120_154125_resized_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bock View Post
    On a recent trip to the outback in central Arizona I was exploring an old trash dump in the vicinity of Camp Date Creek (old 1867 army camp) set up for the protection of settlers from the native hostiles.
    I found this lock in the debris field of what I thought was an outpost from the Date Creek camp 25 mi away.
    Any help aging this lock may help me determine what this old camp actually may have been. Im betting the lock is not near old enough to be left from the circa 1860-70's
    The trademark design indicates is was likely made by the Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. during the period of 1920-1959, see pdf thumbnail attached of Historical Research Series #19, May 1957 by Thomas F. Hennessy. The sucessor company, CCL Security Products; is still in business.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    The trademark design indicates is was likely made by the Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. during the period of 1920-1959, see pdf thumbnail attached of Historical Research Series #19, May 1957 by Thomas F. Hennessy. The sucessor company, CCL Security Products; is still in business.
    Pete Schifferli
    Appears to be similar, but not identical to No. 09828 found in Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. Catalog No. 38, dated 1928, see pdf of thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Files Attached Files

Pete,

I'm thrilled with what you have uncovered for this Corbin lock. Its a flat key lock and trade mark is as you suggested. I'm guessing my found lock would possibly be a slight earlier iteration based on two assumptions.

1) A newer one may have fewer rivets due to (Manufacturing process improvement).

2) The bottom of the found lock does not fit inside the case but fits snug up against to outside sleeve. (the catalog rendering may not be accurate though as it is not clear where the case and inter workings are joined)

Thanks a ton Pete, for putting your lock knowledge to solving a date issue for this old camp. Im now thinking 1920's- 60 period. Its an intriguing mystery to me because there is a 1/8 of a mile road on the edge of a rocky mountain that ends at this camp. The road was improved with blocked rock work on the down hill side along the way to the camp. Looks like it would have taken weeks with lots of workers to make the road. And then it dead ends at a pointed precipice about 100 ft above the date creek. with 250 degree views in both directions. Looks like a perfect view point if you were needing to keep tabs of local traffic. But the lock is too current to be from 1870s army. I wonder if the lock could have been cut from a more recent cattle gate installed in the 30's about a mile further back from this camp, and just discarded at the camp??

what is measurement across bottom ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9863-1920 cat.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	20516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9863m-1920 cat.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	205171920 cat Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9863-9865-1912 cat.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	205181912 cat

the 3 rivets on corbin date way back to late1800's,same with most padlock makers ,yale safe,r&e,eagle,miller ,etc

Nathan,
    The found lock is 1.54" wide X 1.35" high X .70" deep The barrel is 0.25" in diameter weight is just shy of 4 OZ

Note the pic of the engraved barrel matches the #09863 in the 1920 cat. As well it looks like the weight and dimensions are very very close.

My question is if the 1912 catalog has lock numbers that come after the 09863 kike 9865? Possibly may mean the style existed at the time? or they left room for modified styles unknown at the time. I guess who knows?

I think it may be is a very legitimate conclusion its the 09863 shown in the 20 catalog. Anyway the lock could have been 10 20 30 years or more old when it was cut and left in the trash heap I suppose???

Thanks for your investigative curiosity in my regard.

Chuck Bock
    in Phoenix
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181121_195732_001_resized (1).jpg  

Thread Information