Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Milner's Antique fireproof safe

Hi guys
    I recently acquired this Milners antique safe from a friend who wanted to throw it out.
    I'm interested in cleaning it up and restoring it a bit. The lock works and have a key, but would like to know a bit more about the safe as well if anyone has info.
    Also, what would be the best to try and get it back to its best condition?
    It has the numbers 5836 and 385 stamped on the top of the door.
    I've included four pics for clarity.
    If anyone has info on when it was made and how to clean it, would be most grateful
    thanks
    Brenden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WhatsApp Image 2018-11-19 at 6.04.02 AM(1).jpeg   WhatsApp Image 2018-11-19 at 6.04.02 AM.jpeg   WhatsApp Image 2018-11-19 at 6.04.01 AM.jpeg   WhatsApp Image 2018-11-19 at 6.04.00 AM.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by brendennel View Post
    Hi guys
    I recently acquired this Milners antique safe from a friend who wanted to throw it out.
    I'm interested in cleaning it up and restoring it a bit. The lock works and have a key, but would like to know a bit more about the safe as well if anyone has info.
    Also, what would be the best to try and get it back to its best condition?
    It has the numbers 5836 and 385 stamped on the top of the door.
    I've included four pics for clarity.
    If anyone has info on when it was made and how to clean it, would be most grateful
    thanks
    Brenden
    Brenden,
    That's the strangest Milner I've ever seen. No nameplate as such and a non-Milner escutcheon (keyhole cover) plus a weird paint finish.

If the prefix before 5836 is 'N' then this safe was made in 1902. A wash down with a strong soda should help retain the original external paint finish which could then benefit from a coat of egg-shell varnish. The quality is known as a List 2 Fire-Resisting.

Thread Information