Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Some of the cord, Terylene? on the older Chubb units was made to burn / melt, especially when used with the plastic, acetate? sheets that would ignite even with a grinder spark.

According to one of the Australian sites, the Commerce line of safes being imported and sold in Australia and New Zealand were being made by Edwin Cotterill and fitted with Chubb locks.

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

I was going to say it's more than likely a home market product of the late 50,s or 60s from their waterloo works in Sydney, as according to one dealers site (CitySafe)the Commerce was originally made in Australia and continued in similar configuration (with same style hinges and same handle position) for some time. quite a few examples are shown fitted with a modern handle and fascia trim. I reckon Redoubt would know, IIRC he was very knowledgeable on the Au and NZ markets.

Default Update of pics and some details

Firstly thankyou @Huw Eastwood @Chubby @Gary Stephenson @safeman

Here are a few for sale that i found online:

Pic 1:

H715 x W540 x D620. Weight – 360kg. Has a LaGuard lock fitted

Pic 2a, Pic 2b:

H715mm high x W535mm wide x D590mm Weight - 400kg.

Pic 3:

Ext Dimensions: 715H X 535W X 590D; Int Dimensions: 560H X 380W X 360D. Weight: 390kg

Description: Chubb Commerce safe. Australian made fire and theft safe. Concrete filled. Heavy duty

Pic 4:

Chubb No5 Horn handle (eg: used on Stafford, Warwick, Commerce etc.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pic 1 0905_Chubb-Commerce.jpg   Pic2a.jpg   Pic2b.jpg   Pic 3. ch-comm-715-d-_1_(2).jpg   Pic4.jpg  

Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 21-11-18 at 10:24 AM.

I think Oldlock, will be the contact to answer all your questions on this safe.
    They are very common in Australia, and they will have been made at the Waterloo works, but I have only ever seen 1 in NZ, quite some time ago.
    They never got to NZ in any sort of quantity, as all our Industries were protected around that era, meaning Safes had to be made in NZ.

Yes, it would melt and trigger the aed. But so will the thermal link on stainless steel.

The problem, on a live aed, is that it would also stretch and fray and ultimately cause a lock out.

It didn't matter on the ones such as the bankers treasury because the nylon wasn't actually moving, so had no tendency to wear, but some of the smaller units had quite a bit of travel on the string and this is what caused the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
    I think Oldlock, will be the contact to answer all your questions on this safe.
    They are very common in Australia, and they will have been made at the Waterloo works, but I have only ever seen 1 in NZ, quite some time ago.
    They never got to NZ in any sort of quantity, as all our Industries were protected around that era, meaning Safes had to be made in NZ.

Thank you Redoubt

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Yes, it would melt and trigger the aed. But so will the thermal link on stainless steel.

The problem, on a live aed, is that it would also stretch and fray and ultimately cause a lock out.

It didn't matter on the ones such as the bankers treasury because the nylon wasn't actually moving, so had no tendency to wear, but some of the smaller units had quite a bit of travel on the string and this is what caused the problem.

All this AED conversion is very educational, amazing things. I am still trying to find the glass plate to fit the standard mount. I cant seem to find one anywhere. Lots of safe have them installed, but not available for separate purchase on the open market. If anyone knows where is can get one please direct me.

They are a standard s & g part. Any agent will either have them in stock or be able to get one very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    They are a standard s & g part. Any agent will either have them in stock or be able to get one very quickly.

Must be made by someone else Chubby. I just phoned a locksmith who hadn't heard of it for S&G and told me to call S&G - which i did. They confirmed they do not have such a thing.

Thanks anyway

Thread Information