Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Chubb Safe information please from any gurus out there ?

Hi All, and great to be a part of the forum. I have a Chubb safe and i am trying to:

1. identify the model and year of manufacture
    2. Location of manufacture.
    2. The original colour codes for colour matching
    3. Weight - i intend to have a plate made up with all the spec's
    4. lock type - I have removed the locking mechanism to take it to a locksmith to get a key
    5. I don't believe the door can be removed - if it can i would like to know how
    6. what are the numbers on the locking rods -= what do they mean?

Thank you all.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg   20181118_135013.jpg   20181118_152202.jpg   20181118_152318.jpg   Top Hinge.jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Hello and welcome, I haven't access to Chubb records but from memory your safe was sold as the Commerce down under, albeit very different to the British commerce and its close cousins sold here.

I can say for definite its a 6K75 keylock though, although from memory most were combination, and your example does show possible hints that it might have been converted over from combination to the 6k75 keylock.

Someone with records access should be able to give far more definitive detail for you, these overseas market Chubbs are always interesting as they are often very different to those from our own home market.

Default Thank you for the information

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Hello and welcome, I haven't access to Chubb records but from memory your safe was sold as the Commerce down under, albeit very different to the British commerce and its close cousins sold here.

I can say for definite its a 6K75 keylock though, although from memory most were combination, and your example does show possible hints that it might have been converted over from combination to the 6k75 keylock.

Someone with records access should be able to give far more definitive detail for you, these overseas market Chubbs are always interesting as they are often very different to those from our own home market.
    Thanks Huw, I though it had been converted over too. You opinion is very helpful. As for the lock type and model - awesome, thanks again. Would you know which model combination lock i could install to bring that aspect back to dial ?
    Last edited by whitepointer; 18-11-18 at 06:56 PM.

Pretty sure its the 7L08, the smaller die-cast combination lock (S&G 6730 sized), not the big brass 4-wheel Chubb.

Default Thank you for the information

Thanks Again Huw, i will look it up and see what the cost is. You appear to be a professional working in the field, can i ask do you know what the numbers on the rods mean?

The numbers stamped into the bolt ends are chubb's serial numbers from which the safes quality/grade, size, origin etc can all be determined, but only by those who can access the factory's records.

With regards to searching for an original comb lock, it depends on whether you want to go original Chubb or are happy to get it working with a similar equivalent.

The original 7L08 locks haven't been available new for many decades, so many safes have since been converted to the freely available American made S&G locks.
    Plus, when searching original vintage Chubb stuff, there's often very few sellers that reliably know what they are actually selling, so references like 6k75, 6k174 etc, let alone 7L08....can sadly be of little help.... they are just as likely to list it as a "Chubb key" or "combination Lock".

Also, another factor to consider if searching for an original, is the spindle length off the combination dial.
    Many of those locks were fitted on wallsafes and bottom range free standing models, which had the minimum door plate thickness, and thus a very short spindle.

Once you break above those examples, towards a 1 inch or more thickness door, the availability of a suitable donor dial/spindle combo of adequate length unfortunetely diminishes.

There are ways around these differences if you can machine your own adapters/sleeves etc, but nonetheless, its all worth thinking over when deciding initially what routes you are considering to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    The numbers stamped into the bolt ends are chubb's serial numbers from which the safes quality/grade, size, origin etc can all be determined, but only by those who can access the factory's records.

With regards to searching for an original comb lock, it depends on whether you want to go original Chubb or are happy to get it working with a similar equivalent.

The original 7L08 locks haven't been available new for many decades, so many safes have since been converted to the freely available American made S&G locks.
    Plus, when searching original vintage Chubb stuff, there's often very few sellers that reliably know what they are actually selling, so references like 6k75, 6k174 etc, let alone 7L08....can sadly be of little help.... they are just as likely to list it as a "Chubb key" or "combination Lock".

Also, another factor to consider if searching for an original, is the spindle length off the combination dial.
    Many of those locks were fitted on wallsafes and bottom range free standing models, which had the minimum door plate thickness, and thus a very short spindle.

Once you break above those examples, towards a 1 inch or more thickness door, the availability of a suitable donor dial/spindle combo of adequate length unfortunetely diminishes.

There are ways around these differences if you can machine your own adapters/sleeves etc, but nonetheless, its all worth thinking over when deciding initially what routes you are considering to take.

Thanks again Huw, i think i will give the original a miss, unless one magically pops up. I will go with the S&G equivalent but my concern now is that when i do i will have to make sure that the installation of the key lock didn't compromise installation. When i get the key cut i will ask the Locksmith to see what he can find out for me about the serial numbers.

Are there any numbers struck into the top edge of the door? If so those will tell you the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Are there any numbers struck into the top edge of the door? If so those will tell you the weight.

Thank you for the reply Chubby but there is no numbers struck on the top edge of the door.

Default Checking the dimensions of a Sargent & Greenleaf lock option on the above safe

I downloaded the technical layout of the 6700 series. Then scaled it so that i could print off a precise template to scale. I then laid it over the mounting points and they all line up - except for the bolt, it doesn't come down far enough to engage with the mechanics of the safe door.

I see it states that the bolt throw is 8.9 mm but the template shows the bolt is considerably short when extended.

Should i be looking at some other substitute lock ?

Appreciate the advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181119_164356.jpg  

Thread Information