Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    According to one of the Australian sites, the Commerce line of safes being imported and sold in Australia and New Zealand were being made by Edwin Cotterill and fitted with Chubb locks.
    1910 / 1920 vintage commerce models. Not the ones shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    One of the Aussie or NZ fellas showed a patent for John tann by inventor ugo Bernard that mentions a glass protection plate in 1964/65
    Earliest Chubb one I can think of is TDR safe late 60's

Thanks for that Gary. Don't think I've seen that Patent so will have to check my papers next week when I'm back in my bolt hole.

Ugo Bernard was Tann's Sales Director right up until they were taken over by the Runciman (Stratford) Group in 1966.

It more or less fits in with the Stratford Treasury and their 450 AA Strongroom door which also had the glass.

Default Australian Chubb Commerce safe

Getting back to Whitepointer's safe in question the key lock (6K75) was a standard or combination (Australian ID 7L44) at an additional cost. If you want to get a glass and parts I suggest you give Ken at CMI safes in Sydney a call. A final warning the hinge pin is prone to breaking if not lubricated. From memory the hinge pin are welded in place top and bottom to stop them falling out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb commerce  2215 3417.jpg   Commerce Safe Specs.jpg  
    Last edited by Nicko50; 29-11-18 at 12:07 AM.

Thread Information