Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
The numbers stamped into the bolt ends are chubb's serial numbers from which the safes quality/grade, size, origin etc can all be determined, but only by those who can access the factory's records.

With regards to searching for an original comb lock, it depends on whether you want to go original Chubb or are happy to get it working with a similar equivalent.

The original 7L08 locks haven't been available new for many decades, so many safes have since been converted to the freely available American made S&G locks.
Plus, when searching original vintage Chubb stuff, there's often very few sellers that reliably know what they are actually selling, so references like 6k75, 6k174 etc, let alone 7L08....can sadly be of little help.... they are just as likely to list it as a "Chubb key" or "combination Lock".

Also, another factor to consider if searching for an original, is the spindle length off the combination dial.
Many of those locks were fitted on wallsafes and bottom range free standing models, which had the minimum door plate thickness, and thus a very short spindle.

Once you break above those examples, towards a 1 inch or more thickness door, the availability of a suitable donor dial/spindle combo of adequate length unfortunetely diminishes.

There are ways around these differences if you can machine your own adapters/sleeves etc, but nonetheless, its all worth thinking over when deciding initially what routes you are considering to take.

Thanks again Huw, i think i will give the original a miss, unless one magically pops up. I will go with the S&G equivalent but my concern now is that when i do i will have to make sure that the installation of the key lock didn't compromise installation. When i get the key cut i will ask the Locksmith to see what he can find out for me about the serial numbers.