Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Chubb Serial Number Dates

The History of Locks Museum Archive contains an index to the Chubb lock serial numbers. The index lists the year, month and day of manufacture (or completion) of Chubb locks from 1819 when production started to December 31st 1936 when the serial numbering of locks was discontinued.
    We are happy to look up the date of your lock in exchange for the following details from your lock:-

• Post here good clear pictures of the exterior of your lock on a white plain background, which should also include a picture of the logo, marking and serial number, and one of the lock interior (except padlocks and other sealed units). Please ensure your picture is of the complete lock and is not croped.
    • Include in your post the exact dimensions (width x height x depth) and its weight.
    • Any known provenance, where it was found, what it was used for etc. etc.

The HoL Museum Team will look up the index and post the date; AL members can then 'explore' your lock and its features. As well as this thread evolving into a useful resource for all Chubb enthusiasts some pictures may also appear on the Chubb Archive website.

Default Chubb lock 830550

Hi, wondering if you could tell me what this lock might of been used for. The brass plate measure 66mm by 55mm, I think the number reads 830550... key works smoothly, it is more brass colored than my pictures show
    Also would you know where I can find out a value, can’t find much on Australian eBay completed.
    Regards Sharon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	830550_8538.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1,013.0 KB 
ID:	20497 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	830550_8567.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	500.5 KB 
ID:	20498 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	830550_8539.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	459.2 KB 
ID:	20499 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	830550_8540.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	20500 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	830550_8545.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	20501 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	830550_8568.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	465.6 KB 
ID:	20502 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	830550_8537.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	725.1 KB 
ID:	20503

Default Chubb Detector Lock 830550

Hi Sharon

Yes I think you are right with that number which dates it to 7th November1879.

Do members have any theories on the miniature stamp on the right hand flange (Prince of Wales feathers)?

Default Chubb Lock 8217

I am in the possession of the safe in attached picture together with 2 original keys. Inside of the door shows info about the safe and/or lock. I have it from my grandfather who died 1969. I do not believe he bought it new.

Could you provide me with more info ?

Thanks for your help/support.

Pierre

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8217-01-max.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	391.4 KB 
ID:	20582 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8217-02-max.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	267.5 KB 
ID:	20583

Default Cast iron safe - lock number 8217

Hi Pierre and welcome.

Assuming your safe is cast iron, that plate would relate to the lock serial number (rather than a safe serial number) and therefore its date from the registers is 24th Oct 1836.

A nice early example, I'm sure members Huw and Safeman can tell us more about these early cast iron examples. Do tell us the safe dimensions and if you have pictures of the lock inner's we can see which version of the patent it is. The letters 'A' and 'D' on these early lock plates might be significant.
    Last edited by Brian Morland; 05-12-18 at 05:13 AM. Reason: amended date

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Hi Pierre and welcome.

Assuming your safe is cast iron, that plate would relate to the lock serial number (rather than a safe serial number) and therefore its date from the registers is 24th Oct 1836.

A nice early example, I'm sure members Huw and Safeman can tell us more about these early cast iron examples. Do tell us the safe dimensions and if you have pictures of the lock inner's we can see which version of the patent it is. The letters 'A' and 'D' on these early lock plates might be significant.
    Thanks Brian for this interesting info and letting me join the forum.
    I'll post some dimensions and new pictures asap.

Kind regards,

Pierre

That really would be interesting to see the mechanism considering the "New Patent" was patented in 1833.

Thanks Kit, I should have spotted that, I may have looked in the wrong register. This is the period where some numbers were duplicated - just to add to the confusion and in some sections of the registers, but that's one reason we are doing all this to try and sort it all out!

I have revised date which could be: 24th Oct 1836 - might become clearer once we see the actual lock.

Hello again. I managed to open the inside of the door that was held by 4 bolts. I opened the lock and took some pictures.

Dimensions of the safe :

72cm x 47 x 36 ( H x W x D) in cm (sorry for that)

This is what I found :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4987.jpg   IMG_4986.jpg   IMG_4988.jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Welcome Pierre, unable to add much other than to say yours is a wonderful example and a rarity fitted with such a nice lock as most of the cast iron chests and early upright safes were more basic.

Many were cast by foundries like Carron's in Scotland who made all manner of products from fireplaces, stoves, post boxes to cannons. They were fitted with (in comparison to yours) very basic box of wards, with the key directly throwing the bolts and a heavy sprung action to retain them in the thrown and withdrawn position, as opposed to the bolts operating off a proper lever lock like yours.

There's been plenty of discussions on the Carron types on here over the years and there's some good general info on this thread from a while back:
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...ghlight=Carron

Thread Information