Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: HAMILTON & Co

Default HAMILTON & Co

Trying to find some information and patent for this interesting lock.
    Hamilton & Co patent, 3 Royal Exchange, London.
    Have seen some mentions on the internet relating to safes and being a maker to the treasury and eccentric lever lock.

The bolt can be moved back and forth to cover the keyway.
    On the upper right of the body is a square hole that a handle would fit to,
    rotate the lever clockwise, this will push all the levers down and reset them to neutral and will also extend the bolt.
    insert the key and rotate it 360 degrees and remove the key
    rotate the knob anti clockwise and it will withdraw the bolt.

the levers are not sprung
    the spacers between the levers are sprung outwardly to exert pressure on the levers and hold them in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP1219.JPG   IMGP1218.JPG   IMGP1217.JPG   IMGP1220.JPG   IMGP1222.JPG  

IMGP1223.JPG   IMGP1224.JPG   IMGP1225.JPG   IMGP1226.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by macs_07 View Post
    Trying to find some information and patent for this interesting lock.
    Hamilton & Co patent, 3 Royal Exchange, London.
    Have seen some mentions on the internet relating to safes and being a maker to the treasury and eccentric lever lock.

The bolt can be moved back and forth to cover the keyway.
    On the upper right of the body is a square hole that a handle would fit to,
    rotate the lever clockwise, this will push all the levers down and reset them to neutral and will also extend the bolt.
    insert the key and rotate it 360 degrees and remove the key
    rotate the knob anti clockwise and it will withdraw the bolt.

the levers are not sprung
    the spacers between the levers are sprung outwardly to exert pressure on the levers and hold them in place.
    Not really anything much more except along with the name of Wm Henry Nash, 1858, #2212 and later 1860, only George, #2685, and in 1862,#723. There may be others.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HamiltonLock.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	832.9 KB 
ID:	23557 This from the collection of W. H. Stanton papers with footnote stating to whom he sold it. Looks like S.Ball in 1986 another less famous collector.

only the 2nd safe I ever bought many years ago was an old Hamilton fire safe, but that was just an ordinary 6 lever lock, nothing special.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hamilton firesafe.jpg 001.jpg   hamilton firesafe.jpg 003.jpg   hamilton firesafe.jpg 005.jpg   hamilton firesafe.jpg 006.jpg  

Default HAMILTON & Co

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Not really anything much more except along with the name of Wm Henry Nash, 1858, #2212 and later 1860, only George, #2685, and in 1862,#723. There may be others.

ID:	23557 This from the collection of W. H. Stanton papers with footnote stating to whom he sold it. Looks like S.Ball in 1986 another less famous collector.
    Thanks for the info.
    Unfortunately different from the lock I have.

Have a photocopied sheet on hamilton's eccentric patent somewhere- not sure where i copied it from.
    Always wanted to see one as it must be on a different level to the stuff i saw- bottom range tat with boltcase held on with 4 bolts into the doorplate, like the one gary's posted with a 6 lever lock. Always amazed me they were makers to the royal mint as never saw anything decent with their name on!

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post

Stephen Balls collection was sold for a song after his untimely death to a locksmith / collector in Altrincham John ? (who I think has now passed as well).

Default Absent friends.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Stephen Balls collection was sold for a song after his untimely death to a locksmith / collector in Altrincham John ? (who I think has now passed as well).
    I'm pleased to see your comment. Been a while. Don't really know many collectors except Syd to whom I parted with my 'collection' many many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    I believe he had a motorcycle accident and although I never met him, I knew that some of my collection had been his. We are all just custodians of these things for our lifetimes, before someone else takes on the responsibility.

Thread Information