Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Church door lock?

The seller told me it was. Late 1800 church lock. I bouhgt it for 40 euro’s. Mabybe to much but I like it. Historique value I guess.
    grj7oqwo08ou 1
    yhwk2daoxp6j 1
    mlob4ka9y7qs 1
    i602se3o6n8m 1
    es0y5hc45p98 1

Default warded rim latch 19C

Maybe.
    But more likely a house door lock. It is a latch 'made to lock and spring'. There is a draw-back knob on the inside, with a slide to snib the latch withdrawn, or block use of the key outside.
    The bolt can also be shot out a second throw which genuinely deadlocks it. Having a solid bridge ward, it dates from post 1818, probably from the Victorian house-building boom from mid-century onwards, possibly as late as 1914 but likely, last quarter of 19C.
    Cleaned, and complete with a (usually repro) staple, period ironmongers sell these for [usually somewhat over £100], so not too bad a price.
    Originally it was black japanned, then probably painted with whatever paint was on the door. Today, matt black looks good. That rusting is only superficial. Commonly the hollow know is badly dented.
    Last edited by chubbbramah; 13-11-19 at 09:04 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks for your info!

We just don’t know.... the seller told me he got it by the demolision of a church.

at least it is a cool lock!

As I said ... maybe. If so, probably not the main door; possibly a side door, or perhaps the vestry. And maybe rather what would be called a 'chapel' than a 'church'. Key looks original, and the drawback knob (I missed that typo) is undamaged. Many house entrance vestibules had a box let into the wall so that when the door opened fully, the large rimlock and its vulnerable know fitted safely into into the recessed space, instead of banging against the wall and being damaged.
    Of the millions of these made, comparatively few have survived, with even fewer still in service. 2-bolt rim locks are more common, still in place on old doors though no longer used. So, a nice find, eassy to clean.

Thread Information