Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default any ideas on this cotterill?

never seen one like this with a rim type lock on the outside of the door, any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cotterills.jpg   cotterills2.jpg   cotterills4.jpg  

Just when you think you have seen everything, something different crops up.

I have never seen anything like that in my life!

Wow Gary, an ACME patent Rimlock! Possibly a gunpowder safe? Strangely the three external strikers/receivers aren't riveted but held on by removable slotted screws...
    The absence of internal boltwork and the external rim lock and fittings (seals?) all fitted on the outside would figure if it was though, protection against heat ,spark, shocks or movement etc being priority in a presumably secure environment.

Safeman posted some great archive Cotterill info on the ACMEs a while back when I made the keys for all my locks, hopefully something will come up on this as I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.

Is this safe for sale somewhere ? or is it just pictures of past auction items. The plaque is very appealing having never been fitted on a lock .

[QUOTE=Huw Eastwood;30108]Wow Gary, an ACME patent Rimlock! Possibly a gunpowder safe? Strangely the three external strikers/receivers aren't riveted but held on by removable slotted screws...
    The absence of internal boltwork and the external rim lock and fittings (seals?) all fitted on the outside would figure if it was though, protection against heat ,spark, shocks or movement etc being priority in a presumably secure environment.

Huw, I think you're right on the button with it being intended purely for the secure storage of
    gunpowder and blasting caps. Heavy fire-resisting cambers and fixings to prevent the door bursting open in a burning building.

it is on sale in New Zealand

Thread Information