Hi all, I've only recently found this site, and as it appears to have some comprehensive discussions on antique locks - I have decided to join & try learning a few things here

I've been randomly looking around at various old locks & key designs posted and/or described. It would seem that for each artifact, there is often a lot of background that is left unknown/unstated. So the opinion of active members here will be more relied on for what it's worth

One of my projects was to make a key just for appearances, not for actual use on any locking device. It was made by melting zinc with a propane plumbing torch, and then dissolving aluminum until reaching somewhere's about 10% aluminum by weight. That was cast into a round ingot, which I then cut down with a variety of power tools. Final finishing was done by placing the key in a bath of hydrochloric acid in which I also placed some copper. The copper was dissolved into oxides which plated the key with a very durable coating, giving it the appearance of very old bronze. The acid etched the key for an 'antiqued' look, as if the key had spent time at the bottom of the ocean. I would like to put a photo of that key here, but so far I haven't been able to find the darn thing! I remember putting it somewhere out of the way, as I had it just laying out on a counter where it was always getting in the way, but looking good doing that

So I guess I'll just draw a quick sketch and upload that, as it would take less time to describe what it is by using a sketch. What I am looking for are opinions on the likelihood of such a key ever having been made, perhaps in a better implementation? I've already changed my mind on how it should be shaped. My original idea was to make something that would look like something from the late 1800's. But I will have to admit, I haven't seen a lot of period correct keys to know what was considered 'typical' and what would have been unusual yet still possible

There is an antique dealer who I showed this key to, to see what they would make of it. They asked me, if I made this key, why not make the lock too? So I've been thinking about how the lock would work, and what should it go to. I have an idea to make a steamer trunk as the medium to design a lock for, but other possibilities are not out of the question

I probably would make a working version of this key with hollow shafts & blocking pins placed inside the keyhole, except that now I'm thinking a cylindrical I-beam shape would be nicer

I also think it's time to look into how to obtain or make a lost wax metal casting operation. Something like what jewlery makers would use, with a centrifuge
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic_20181106_180406Z_HDR-01.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	20393