Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Armoured Yale padlock

Does anyone have any information about this padlock please?

I think its similar inside to an 850, but with an iron case around it.
    Yale themselves were no help.

Hinged on one side of the shackle.
    Takes a YA 14D keyblank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20181027_18_59_19_Pro[1].jpg   WP_20181027_18_59_31_Pro[1].jpg   WP_20181027_18_59_47_Pro[1].jpg   WP_20181027_19_03_22_Pro[1].jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ucof View Post
    Does anyone have any information about this padlock please?
    I think its similar inside to an 850, but with an iron case around it.Yale themselves were no help.
    Hinged on one side of the shackle.
    Takes a YA 14D keyblank.
    I don't have any specific information but do have a couple comments that may help a bit:
    • Likely from Yale UK, haven't seen anything similar on this side of the pond
    • JMA says YA-14D crosses to Ilco 998GL which is the master for LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH and LK sectionals, thus the original might have been one of those keyways, see thumbnail of L Series keyway hierarchy taken from Ilco Key Blank Directory, 12th ed., sec. 2, pg. 73
    • During World War 2 brass was needed for the war effort and alternate materials were often used to conserve brass for ammunition, thus perhaps your padlock dates to that era?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YaleLseriesKeywayHeirarchy.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	20363
    Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    • JMA says YA-14D crosses to Ilco 998GL which is the master for LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH and LK sectionals, thus the original might have been one of those keyways, see thumbnail of L Series keyway hierarchy taken from Ilco Key Blank Directory, 12th ed., sec. 2, pg. 73

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YaleLseriesKeywayHeirarchy.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	20363
    Pete Schifferli
    The JMA cross reference to Ilco 998GL was taken from my JMA catalog dated 2012 but I'm told a later 2017 edition does not show this, thus the cross reference to Yale may be erroneous. Sorry for the confusion.

Pete

I am not involved in padlock collecting, but have seen a lot of Yale products. Pete has suggested possibly from the UK. I agree with that possibility and will take it a step further. I have never seen the Y in Yale printed like that. Could it be a faked Yale?

Default Looks like a real Yale

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    I am not involved in padlock collecting, but have seen a lot of Yale products. Pete has suggested possibly from the UK. I agree with that possibility and will take it a step further. I have never seen the Y in Yale printed like that. Could it be a faked Yale?

I've seen several vintage Yale locks that were made in Europe that have that style of Y in the logo, so I think it is a real Yale lock.

I had one of those as a kid, without the rust it was a gray colour similar to the Chubb Conquest. Mine was in fairly good condition but the core was clogged up with crap. I didn't know how to clean it properly back then. It's from at least the 80's. I think the Science Museum has one. They call it the "Sampson" from 1970.

Take a look here at 3:08 -------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4QbwyQVauI

I also think Yale 'Samson' No. L999 padlock. Steel close shackle, 6-pin cylinder. Case size 70mm x 67mm. 1970s/1980s. U.K. made. If I had to guess the key section, I would say YR-BC pip.

Default Armoured Yale padlock

I have see that padlock one time selling on eBay. I found this PDF For years in Yale. If look at it in 1894 Yale & Towne established a sales branch in Britain (first British plant). Than later in 1929 Yale purchased the UK largest lock maker H. & T. Vaughan Ltd. It could be made from H. & T. Vaughan and this is only a guess....Timothy.....

Default Armoured Yale padlock Your Message

Sorry that i try to attached the pdf but guess will not go....Timothy.....

KitBear and Magpie - that's perfect.

Thank you both very much, you've solved my mystery.

Also thank you Timothy for trying.

Thread Information