Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Looking to replace Yale Half Mortise Lock

Hello Everyone, any help you could give would be much appreciated. I have an old Carpenters Chest I am restoring. It has a Yale Half Mortise Lock. In the past I have used a friend's very large key collection to obtain a working key for old locks. It is time consuming but, works very well. In this case, as you can see in the pictures, a key will not help until I can replace the "striker" (not sure if that is the correct term.) It appears a previous owner probably lost the key and removed the lugs on the striker, it can be seen in the pictures. I would like to replace just the striker but, would replace the entire lock if a replacement could be found that matches the dimensions. Thank you all for your patience in reading this long post and thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a.jpg   b.jpg   c.jpg   d.jpg   e.jpg  

f.jpg  

Default Looking to replace Yale Half Mortise Lock

Not sure if this it what you looking for per attached. Not sure if they still sell some part for it or not...Timothy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale Cabinet No. 521.jpg   Yale Cabinet No. 5521.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Not sure if this it what you looking for per attached. Not sure if they still sell some part for it or not...Timothy....
    L-o-n-g discontinued, Yale exited the cabinet lock business decades ago. There are some contemporary import chest locks but all that I am aware of utilize a barrel type key. See link for an example:
    https://www.rockler.com/half-mortise...iABEgLLkvD_BwE

Pete Schifferli

Thumbs up Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    That actually is a great help! It shows the shape of the lugs on the striker plate! I may be able to make the part out of a brass billet. I knew the part would not be available new but, I thought maybe someone in this group might be a collector and may have this lock or possible parts. Either way; thank you for your effort, having the shape of the lugs is a huge help to me!

Bob

Thumbs up Understood

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    L-o-n-g discontinued, Yale exited the cabinet lock business decades ago. There are some contemporary import chest locks but all that I am aware of utilize a barrel type key. See link for an example:
    https://www.rockler.com/half-mortise...iABEgLLkvD_BwE

Pete Schifferli
    Yes,
    I knew the part would not be available new but, I thought maybe someone in this group might be a collector and have this lock or parts. Thanks for the link, I have scoured the woodwork and furniture supply sites for similar locks. Cannot find anything similar that would not require large changes to the chest; that would be unacceptable for this project. Thank you for the assist!

Bob

Thread Information