Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Unusual Large Chubb Hasp Style Lock

Looking for some insights about the typical uses and manufacture date of this heavy duty Chubb hasp style lock.
    It is 8-1/2 inches long. The section with the key is 2-3/8 inches wide and 7/8 inches thick. 2 of the more oxidized keys are stamped Chubb. The third key appears to have a rust free coating (perhaps nickel or zinc?) but is not marked. The serial # is not 100% clear but as far as I can tell it is Wb1Z. The #10 appears twice and the letters AQ appear on the backside. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9404.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	789.7 KB 
ID:	20298 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9406.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	927.3 KB 
ID:	20299 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9407.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	857.8 KB 
ID:	20300 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9408.jpg 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	20301 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9410.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	20302

Very nice, don't know the reference but it looks to be an early forerunner of their Hercules horizontal padbar. They made many changes as it evolved over the years but yours has what looks the same type of 6 lever mech and keys as used in the Battleship padlocks.

The two keys marked Chubb are originals, the other is just a copy. Chubb were always strict on this, their genuine issue blanks were marked (often with a star) to prevent a copied duplicate key from being passed off as an original.
    Here's two recent Battleship blanks for comparison:

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	20303
    Hopefully someone will have an old catalogue brochure or come up more info for you,dates, reference number etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Very nice, don't know the reference but it looks to be an early forerunner of their Hercules horizontal padbar. They made many changes as it evolved over the years but yours has what looks the same type of 6 lever mech and keys as used in the Battleship padlocks.

The two keys marked Chubb are originals, the other is just a copy. Chubb were always strict on this, their genuine issue blanks were marked (often with a star) to prevent a copied duplicate key from being passed off as an original.
    Here's two recent Battleship blanks for comparison:

Views:	16 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	20303
    Hopefully someone will have an old catalogue brochure or come up more info for you, dates, reference number etc.
    Many thanks Huw for the prompt reply. I was surprised to find a Chubb padbar battleship hasp ( no integral locking mechanism) currently on ebay (see low rez photo attached). Compared to the modern one on Ebay my version certainly harkens back to a bygone era.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9413.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bacade View Post
    Looking for some insights about the typical uses and manufacture date of this heavy duty Chubb hasp style lock.
    It is 8-1/2 inches long. The section with the key is 2-3/8 inches wide and 7/8 inches thick. 2 of the more oxidized keys are stamped Chubb. The third key appears to have a rust free coating (perhaps nickel or zinc?) but is not marked. The serial # is not 100% clear but as far as I can tell it is Wb1Z. The #10 appears twice and the letters AQ appear on the backside. Thanks.

Name:	IMG_9404.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	789.7 KB 
ID:	20298 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9406.jpg 
Size:	927.3 KB 
ID:	20299 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9407.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	857.8 KB 
ID:	20300 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9408.jpg 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	20301 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9410.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	20302
    That’s an outstanding bit of kit, looks much nicer compared to the more recent version! I wonder if the modern version would hold up to an attack much better considering the strength of materials used and developed much later. ( I don’t mean a gas torch attack ! Hammer and chisel! Old style) The older version is exceedingly nicer to look at... nice one !

This advert is the only one I've seen so far

Views:	13 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	20426

Here's an image from a 1925 catalogue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

As I had one within reach too, here are some photos of mine. Mine is marked with 128 Queen St, and my serial is later than the one in the 1925 catalogue.

The first entry I can see (in catalogues that I have) is around 1925.

Mine is closer to 8"x3".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6612.jpg   IMG_6613.jpg   IMG_6614.jpg   IMG_6615.jpg   IMG_6616.jpg  

IMG_6617.jpg  

Thread Information