Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Dating Chubb Padlock

I recently purchased via eBay this fine example of a Chubb
    padlock with serial # 1401260 - marked with makers to “her” majesty. Could this be old enough to refer to
    Queen Victoria? Would appreciate any help in dating the manufacture of this lock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62421020-7B5D-4D30-807B-05D911FB0FC3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	20292

Your lock, serial number 1401260 was completed on the 4th April 1899.

Two questions: can you advise the exact size and also zoom in on the minature logo in the top left 'ear', usualy its the 'Prince of Wales feathers' symbol.

These are nice locks although this example is not the Detector version - but still very nice in a collection.

Thanks for the prompt reply! The padlock Measures almost 4-1/2" x 3". The mark in the upper left hand corner looks like a square with nicks in it. Can’t discern much more

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Your lock, serial number 1401260 was completed on the 4th April 1899.

Two questions: can you advise the exact size and also zoom in on the minature logo in the top left 'ear', usualy its the 'Prince of Wales feathers' symbol.

These are nice locks although this example is not the Detector version - but still very nice in a collection.

Brian, do you now have access to all the records of Chubb serial numbers? If so, could you please help me find info on the No. 427006 Chubb 6" padlock? It is the largest Chubb padlock size. I would like to know when it was made, and all the other relevant info, such as who it was made for. I appreciate your help!

Default Chubb serial numbers

Hi Biblioclef and all Chubb enthusiasts. Yes we do have a very large Chubb archive including the serial number records which give the day/month/year of manufacturer. We are considering how to best make the information available whilst at the same time learning what items are still extent. Its likely we will start a special thread in the HoL section of this site. An announcement will be made here shortly once we have clarified our thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Morland View Post
    Hi Biblioclef and all Chubb enthusiasts. Yes we do have a very large Chubb archive including the serial number records which give the day/month/year of manufacturer. We are considering how to best make the information available whilst at the same time learning what items are still extent. Its likely we will start a special thread in the HoL section of this site. An announcement will be made here shortly once we have clarified our thoughts.

Brian, that would be awesome, and something many of us collectors have dreamed for. I strongly encourage you to find a way to display this info, much appreciated.

Thread Information