Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Diebold Anti-Dynamite Safe....Information or value?

Hi All,

I have this safe that I acquired with the purchase of my new home. Does anyone have any ball park of value in current condition or where to sell it? Both inner and our doors function lock/unlock as they should. I just have no use for this and it is so old I feel like there is someone out there that might appreciate it. It says patented July 38, 1885, and also says WM. Fish Agent Cleveland, OH, not sure what that means either. For me it is in the way and im looking for possibilities or interested parties to take it off of my hands. Does anyone have any further information on this beast? It weighs a ton, cant move it myself.Ill see if I can get more pictures as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0370.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	20241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0371.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	20242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0372.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	20243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0373.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	20244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0374.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	20245

Bonsoir, this is not a safe. this is a piece of art.
    I would have bought the house to have this safe.

Would need to be able to look at bigger pictures to be able to tell for sure but from the tiny pics I would guess you have a pretty collectable safe on your hands. Does it have timelocks? Where is it located?

Default safe

Quote Originally Posted by jacobrules View Post
    Would need to be able to look at bigger pictures to be able to tell for sure but from the tiny pics I would guess you have a pretty collectable safe on your hands. Does it have timelocks? Where is it located?
    Jacob,

I am posting some more pictures below and hopefully you can tell me a bit more about it. It is an amazing piece of iron...the weight of the outer door alone just amazes me. I am not sure what you mean by timelocks exactly but from what I gather online I don't think it does. It just has a dial on the outside safe and a dial on the inside safe. Also, it is located in Erie, Pennsylvania in my basement. Any idea on value or who I would want to show this to to find collectors?

Thanks!

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	20246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0776.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	20247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0777.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	20248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0778.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	20249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	20250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	20251

So your safe is supposed to have Timelocks but someone has removed them. In the condition it is in and location I would guess you will have a rather hard time selling it. The problem is that it is in a basement. The easiest way to sell it would be to get it out of the basement and loaded on a pallet with the wheels chocked on the pallet and it strapped down. That way anyone anywhere in the country can buy it and you would not be restricted to just a local market. I think what you will find is it might cost rather more to remove it from the basement than you can sell it for. It is a very collectable safe but it's incomplete. It's probably worth $1500-$2000 as it sits incomplete. Most buyers however, are not going to want to pay the additional cost to remove it. So probably more like a $500 safe where it sits.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is this the one that has the indirect drive gearpack laminated into the plates of the door?
    If so it is a very nice lock.

If I had to guess, I would guess it is a direct drive lock but its hard to tell. A pic of the inside of the door with the bolts extended would probably answer that.

Default safe

Quote Originally Posted by jacobrules View Post
    So your safe is supposed to have Timelocks but someone has removed them. In the condition it is in and location I would guess you will have a rather hard time selling it. The problem is that it is in a basement. The easiest way to sell it would be to get it out of the basement and loaded on a pallet with the wheels chocked on the pallet and it strapped down. That way anyone anywhere in the country can buy it and you would not be restricted to just a local market. I think what you will find is it might cost rather more to remove it from the basement than you can sell it for. It is a very collectable safe but it's incomplete. It's probably worth $1500-$2000 as it sits incomplete. Most buyers however, are not going to want to pay the additional cost to remove it. So probably more like a $500 safe where it sits.
    Jacob,

Thank you so much for the information and that pdf. I haven't been able to find anything on this thing. Below is a picture with the bolts extended if that helps to identify the lock. I also underestimated the weight of this thing. How in the world did it end up in the basement? I imagine it would crush the wooden steps trying to get it out? Also, I do now see on the inside of the door where the time locks are missing....very interesting. I guess I will try and advertise locally if I can find a way to remove it or just use it for my own items. Can I trust the locking mechanism?

Thanks!
    Matt

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	793.3 KB 
ID:	20256

I think the gear pack is built into the door and needs the door delaminating to remove it, although it looks direct drive, the position of the dial on the outside and lock on the inside seem to be in different locations.
    with regard to can I trust the locking mechanism, probably more so than a modern lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    I think the gear pack is built into the door and needs the door delaminating to remove it, although it looks direct drive, the position of the dial on the outside and lock on the inside seem to be in different locations.
    with regard to can I trust the locking mechanism, probably more so than a modern lock.
    Thanks Gary I have been wondering how safe this "safe" is to actually put things in. Also, for my last question,is this actually circa 1880s?

Thread Information