Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Willenhall Locksmith/Collector

Thought I'd finally make the effort to join this interesting group.

I'm a total lock nerd but alas most of it's boring upvc style work these days.

I have been working as a locksmith in Willenhall for approx ten years and have acquired various interesting items for my collection.

Thought I'd share a few, some I've recently brought from another collector in the area.

Would be interested if anyone has any further information on any of them.

- AVA style deposit lock, recently rekeyed this using a couple of old ava nightlatches
    ava zpsccx9n7ji 1

- An early geared latch sashlock with 7 levers (6 active and a spacer?)
    7inner zpswngqxyy1 1
    7 zpsxfk1680n 1

- A stainless lock, supposedly for marine use
    stainless zpsdolawfn8 1

- An unusual 2 lever deadlocking tubular latch, almost looks like a prototype. Never seen anything like it. Biggs London
    tubular zpsy37u27am 1

Various other nice bits and bobs
    olde zpsrwnomakh 1
    sliding zpsxcciza9j 1
    chubb20escutcheon zpsnovwsnx9 1
    olden zpstbcnnpdh 1

Anyhow, look forward to having a good read of the forum and see what you're all collecting.

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Welcome aboard, nice introduction and great pictures too.
    Seeing your stuff brings back a lot of memories! That round locking escutcheon looks a nice one, any idea what it was off?

Have you taken the 'stainless' lock apart yet as its more likely nickel plated brass, the case and cover look like castings and it has telltale flashing around the follower and keyhole.
    The Biggs tubular locking latch, now that looks a real oddball!

BTW you probably already know the search function at top right of page is the quick way to trawl up everything that's been covered before

Cheers.

The escutcheon I've been told is an addition to some Chubb safes, I don't think it's particularly uncommon but it's a well made lock with five tiny levers, I made the key so no idea what the original looks like.

Have loads more pics floating around will see if I can get them up.

Some internals, A nice Banham and an odd legge with strange cogged euro (these were actually fitted upside down with strange handles)

stainlessinternals zpsrxi3mgxk 1
    slidinginternals zpsgfla9gqp 1
    legge zps7dftt5fc 1
    tubularinternas zpscexj0aht 1
    banham zpsbtauejbv 1

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Great photos keep them coming, you've got a good mixture there it's good to see some different stuff as there are loads who only collect padlocks!
    Seeing the detent action in that Banham reminded me of the old Ingersoll M6 deadlocks.

Default Willenhall Locksmith/Collector

Nice lock you have there. Good example of showing some of the lock you have over there. Does any of the lock come with Patent number...???....Keep up showing more of what you have....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by placeborick View Post
    Thought I'd finally make the effort to join this interesting group.

I'm a total lock nerd but alas most of it's boring upvc style work these days.

I have been working as a locksmith in Willenhall for approx ten years and have acquired various interesting items for my collection.

Thought I'd share a few, some I've recently brought from another collector in the area.

Would be interested if anyone has any further information on any of them.

- AVA style deposit lock, recently rekeyed this using a couple of old ava nightlatches
    ava zpsccx9n7ji 1

- An early geared latch sashlock with 7 levers (6 active and a spacer?)
    7inner zpswngqxyy1 1
    7 zpsxfk1680n 1

- A stainless lock, supposedly for marine use
    stainless zpsdolawfn8 1

- An unusual 2 lever deadlocking tubular latch, almost looks like a prototype. Never seen anything like it. Biggs London
    tubular zpsy37u27am 1

Various other nice bits and bobs
    olde zpsrwnomakh 1
    sliding zpsxcciza9j 1
    chubb20escutcheon zpsnovwsnx9 1
    olden zpstbcnnpdh 1

Anyhow, look forward to having a good read of the forum and see what you're all collecting.
    The early tubular lock is one that I have come across quite a few of -I also have one where the follower is bigger and inserted through the face of the door like a knobset.
    The Legge euro was I believe their heavy duty early euro (which I have one or two of the cylinders still in stock!
    I like that escutcheon lock -cute!...and the sliding catches look very well made -are they off shutters or ships?
    T

Thread Information