Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: chubb safe no32

Default Old Safe Records.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Thanks for those, the 412 serial number was a plain safe and 3 were made under that serial number.
    Gary,

You appear to have the old safe number records for Chubb and Tann. Do you by any chance have similar records for Chatwood?

A few years ago I found a Chatwood Special No. S-52570 as illustrated which was part of an order for an old Scottish Bank. These had 10" protective thickness in doors and bodies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood CB edit 002.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	732.9 KB 
ID:	20189 I tried Gunnebo many times for information on the specification but neither Mary or Tom Rochford would respond despite my having provided Chubb with reciprocal Tann safe details over many years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chatwood CB 002 edit.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Gary,

A few years ago I found a Chatwood Special No. S-52570 as illustrated which was part of an order for an old Scottish Bank. These had 10" protective thickness in doors and bodies.

Name:	Chatwood CB edit 002.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	732.9 KB 
ID:	20189
    That wouldnt have been County Bank would it?

Gary, do you know what locks that has?

Default Chatwood Special.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    That wouldn't have been County Bank would it?
    Tom,

I don't know of any County Bank in Scotland. When I posted that I couldn't remember what Chubb's records originally stated way back when I first acquired these safes in the mid 70's but I now remember the name of the Commercial Bank of Scotland which merged with the National Bank of Scotland and which finished up in the Royal Bank of Scotland who found some of these safes surplus to requirements.

Cepasaccus, from distant memory they were 12 lever locks.

The Royal Bank still have at least one Chatwood Special Diamond which also has the radiussed corners on the doors but only about half the protective barrier thickness.

Name:	Chatwood Spl.Diamond 59x32x29(7).JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	20190 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood Spl.Diamond 59x32x29(8).JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	20191 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood Spl.Diamond 59x32x29(9).JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	455.8 KB 
ID:	20192

I didn't have the Tann records, they binned them before I could copy them unfortunately, because of this since Mary left I had been pestering them for the records on microfiche to ensure they didn't also get slung. Whilst down on some training recently I managed to find them and borrow with the intention of copying them, but unfortunately they have now taken them back.
    there were hobbs hart, chatwood, milner and chubb records. I will see if I can find anything out from your serial number.

I didn't have the Tann records, they binned them before I could copy them unfortunately, because of this since Mary left I had been pestering them for the records on microfiche to ensure they didn't also get slung. Whilst down on some training recently I managed to find them and borrow with the intention of copying them, but unfortunately they have now taken them back.
    there were hobbs hart, chatwood, milner and chubb records. I will see if I can find anything out from your serial number.
    You are right it was “Commercial” not “County” but the relevant thing was that it started with a “c” because I think that is a “CB” Chatwood - 7 tonnes and 15 inch doors - do you still have it? Made about 1933
    Last edited by Tom Gordon; 14-09-18 at 03:30 AM.

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

I never tire of seeing those CB Quality Chatwoods. Safeman I think we owe yourself for most and probably all of the pictures ever released of those. Had you not posted that 'very special chatwood' thread years ago it would, for me, have forever remained just a listing in the gradings tables of your Tann safe book. To actually see the photos is amazing, nothing even comes close.

Default CB Quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    You are right it was “Commercial” not “County” but the relevant thing was that it started with a “c” because I think that is a “CB” Chatwood - 7 tonnes and 15 inch doors - do you still have it? Made about 1933
    Sadly Tom this safe only passed through my hands at John Tann (Scotland) in the 1970's. At the time I had no interest from an archaeological point of view in the safe and it was sold on.

It wasn't until 40 years later when I was researching for my websites that I decided to try and find one. I had a vague recollection of a Glasgow Cash & Carry from which starting point I eventually traced this safe and with much difficulty obtained permission to photograph it providing all background detail was removed. I did note the serial number though.

This is a picture of another which is still in a Bank and too difficult to remove without part demolition! Worn pivots have caused serious binding of the door as can be seen from some rough remedial work. Who would ever have thought that safe doors required lubrication?

Name:	Kenny.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	395.3 KB 
ID:	20193

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    I never tire of seeing those CB Quality Chatwoods. Safeman I think we owe yourself for most and probably all of the pictures ever released of those. Had you not posted that 'very special chatwood' thread years ago it would, for me, have forever remained just a listing in the gradings tables of your Tann safe book. To actually see the photos is amazing, nothing even comes close.

Thank you for your kind words Huw.

I am a rubbish researcher as I have no filing system or references but fortunately my memory keeps going. This reminds me that I have a piece on the Special Diamond specification which is from the Chapter on my Safeman website called Scrapbook, and covers the Chatwood range.

Name:	Extract Spl.Diamond.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	339.7 KB 
ID:	20194I've just noticed it has the wrong heading - Treasury not Diamond.

Regrettably the section following which was intended to list all the Milner products has hit a major problem transferring it to the web which I hope to tackle when I can replace my web software.

Gary, it would be great if you could find out any more on this safe, and I'm wondering if at the same time you could see what the records say about S-51497 which I'm assuming is the Special Diamond here -

Name:	Chatwood Spl.Diamond 59x32x29(8).JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	20196
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0137.JPG  

Thread Information