Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: chubb safe no32

I like a grab handle on a heavy door. I think Chubb not putting them on their TDRs was a mistake. I have seen bolt throwing handles damaged by their use to swing the door.

The bankers or 3rd strength tdr normally had the wedge shaped pull handle, so its not as if they couldn't have fitted them to all strengths if they had wanted to. The bolt throw handles were of reasonably good strength back then and if the doors adjusted correctly, were up to the job.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Thanks for that Tom, I never thought of a day lock which I've only seen once before and that was on a huge Milner in the City Collector's Dept. of the Glasgow Corporation. It was a spring latch which I assumed to be an emergency closure device against hold-up.

I'll guess that the top left handle is a pull handle and top right the keyhole shutter knob with the cross-locking bars round handle below.
    The pivotting seesaw has connections to the safe boltwork on both sides of the lock - that is thrown by the drop handle while the central knob is for moving the bolt stumps into the fan levers

Just changing the topic ever so slightly back to safe moving. This is a highly unsafe procedure. They do not have high-visibility vests on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Safe20Huggers-1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	20254

Thread Information