Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: chubb safe no32

Default chubb safe no32

Would anyone have any info, old brochure or catalogue info on a Chubb safe from 1867 described as a no32 safe, other serial numbers are also described as no32 safe, so I assume this refers to a particular model and size, maybe like telegraph codewords like ASTUTE to identify a size and model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb 10772 (1).jpg   chubb 10772 (2).jpg   chubb 10772 (3).jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Gary when I posted an unusual Queen Vic St Chubb on wheels a while back I think it was Patent who helped a lot with old brochures. Might be worth sending him a PM as I don't think he's on very often.

Remember seeing quite a few old St. Paul's churchyard single door single lock versions like your picture with those 'pear' shape escutcheons they had some of the fiercest hardplates and the matrix of hard dowels driven into the outer plate.
    One single locking version imprinted in my mind was locked no key and externally identical to the others with what seemed the same curtained powder proof lock but was actually reversed with the key turning anti clockwise to unlock, what a nightmare that was...Sorry no help with the no32 reference though!

Default Chubb No.32

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Would anyone have any info, old brochure or catalogue info on a Chubb safe from 1867 described as a no32 safe, other serial numbers are also described as no32 safe, so I assume this refers to a particular model and size, maybe like telegraph codewords like ASTUTE to identify a size and model.
    No joy Gary Nothing this early. 1910 Catalogue shows a 4 corner bent model with this number but the double-door versions are from 39 to 44 from memory.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb Safe No.32.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	20162

There was a very old Chubb in the Tann Museum with a New Patent lock no.114303 from around 1837 as described below.

Name:	Chubb composite.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	20163 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early Chubb..JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	20164Sorry nothing more.

Name:	Chubb early plate safe 1.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	20165 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb early plate safe 2.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	20166
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 07-09-18 at 04:16 PM.

Many thanks, that brochure picture is interesting with the asbestos inner door and the option of diagonal bolts. I was expecting a model type on the records like Patent for example, so it took me by surprise when it just had a number as an identifier. If I find anything else out I will let you know. Will try to PM patent.

I hadn't realised how expensive those Chubbs were. Those were enormous sums in those days.

The early London - Melbourne invoices refer to models by number like that.

It's great to have the records showing the cost of manufacture + 20 % markup !

In 1892 (if memory serves me correctly) Conan Doyle wrote "The Copper Beeches". In that he discusses salaries given to governesses. He states that an employer could have his pick if he were to offer as much as 40 pounds a year. Gives you some idea what you could get for your money.

I know that that is somewhat earlier than the date on that brochure, but there was very little inflation prior to WW1.

Default Model Types.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Many thanks, that brochure picture is interesting with the asbestos inner door and the option of diagonal bolts. I was expecting a model type on the records like Patent for example, so it took me by surprise when it just had a number as an identifier. If I find anything else out I will let you know. Will try to PM patent.
    Gary, some safemakers like Edw.Tann & Sons did not give their products names until near the turn of the Century. Rather their main lines were called simply No.1, No.2 etc. changing to List 2 List 3 etc around 1900, when names such as Excelsior, Household, Ledger came into use.

As far as I can establish Chubb safes in the 19th Century went by titles like Chubb New Patent or Chubb Fire Patent. Here are some old illustrations from my archive.

Name:	Chubb No 412 1847 (2).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	20176 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb No 412 1847 (1).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	558.1 KB 
ID:	20177 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb's new patent 1875.JPG 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	20178 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chubb's new patent 1875. 2 JPG.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	20179

At the Great Exhibition of 1851 among many items they displayed their Banker's Safe lock based on their Improved Patent of 1824 which secured the main boltwork either as illustrated or as part of a wheel lock for multi-bolt systems.

Name:	Chubb Bankers Lock.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	20180 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM Lock detail copy.jpg 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	20181

Thanks for those, the 412 serial number was a plain safe and 3 were made under that serial number.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 412 three plain safes (1).jpg   412 three plain safes (2).jpg  

Thread Information