Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: chubb safe no32

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Ah, so fair play then Tom, what age is it?
    I think it is 1873

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    I think it is 1873
    Cheers Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    Especially at that time 50 quid were basically nothing.
    Could you explain a bit more please Cepasaccus as my basic understanding is £50 was a serious amount of money at that time.

Could you explain a bit more please Cepasaccus as my basic understanding is £50 was a serious amount of money at that time.
    Exactly!

Default Chatwood extra locks.

Ah, but to be fair, it was only an escutcheon lock but they had to make and fit the cabinet lock, the steel rod, the knob AND the screw thread for the knob so it would be difficult to do that for under £50 😺
    Tom, prompted by this subject I've managed to find an old picture of a Diamond which has two auxiliary locks, the lower one which I don't understand as there doesn't appear to be a corresponding second lock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood Diamond extra locks.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	20222

Default Chatwood handles.

Just noticed the CB Quality Chatwood has two boltwork handles, another to add to the list. Was going to start a new thread on such a few years ago as safes with two working handles are a rarity, but only managed I think it was three or four. Sorry to carry on the CB topic on your no32 Chubb thread Gary, but in my defence it was safeman that started it

Huw, I am not entirely certain but I always believed that the lower handle operated the keyhole blocking device/s. The attached boltwork picture seems to support this but then my theory falls apart when I see pictures of the safe with keys in the locks but the lower handle vertical unless the shutter has been removed at some time.

Although this picture is of the Diamond boltwork I would think it most probable that the CB was more or less identical.

Name:	Chatwood Diamond Boltwork..JPG 
Size:	405.6 KB 
ID:	20223 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood CB Qual. open.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	20224 I can't remember whether I've mentioned it before but the CB had a heavy steel rim of ½" or thicker welded round the entire front face of the body to help support the extra heavy SRD type hinge assembly and door plus there were oilers originally fixed to the top one with only the attachment holes remaining.

Also, apologies to you Gary for having changed the subject - I must have gone off 'pisste'.

Everyone can go off pisste as much as they want as long as they are posting pictures and info of these beauties.

S51497 style treasury standard quality safe (new design)

S52570 the record that I believe contain this serial number has been cropped upon producing the file, so have counted back and it looks to be a similar description to above

date of 1929 on the index but possibly 1933 on the fiche line

if I find anything else I will post it up.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Tom, prompted by this subject I've managed to find an old picture of a Diamond which has two auxiliary locks, the lower one which I don't understand as there doesn't appear to be a corresponding second lock.

Name:	Chatwood Diamond extra locks.JPG 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	20222
    i believe that what you have there is a fan lock with escutcheon lock and day lock and a dummy knob.
    any guesses which is which?

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Huw, I am not entirely certain but I always believed that the lower handle operated the keyhole blocking device/s. The attached boltwork picture seems to support this but then my theory falls apart when I see pictures of the safe with keys in the locks but the lower handle vertical unless the shutter has been removed at some time.

Although this picture is of the Diamond boltwork I would think it most probable that the CB was more or less identical.

Name:	Chatwood Diamond Boltwork..JPG 
Size:	405.6 KB 
ID:	20223 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood CB Qual. open.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	20224 I can't remember whether I've mentioned it before but the CB had a heavy steel rim of ½" or thicker welded round the entire front face of the body to help support the extra heavy SRD type hinge assembly and door plus there were oilers originally fixed to the top one with only the attachment holes remaining.

Also, apologies to you Gary for having changed the subject - I must have gone off 'pisste'.
    the best round letterlock is the control for the slider which blocks off the keyhole.
    On a fan lock the lower handle lifts/lowers a pivoted actuator (on left and right of the lock) to move two separate bolt works. A different lock could use 2 handles to do that.
    a cross shaped rather than t shaped plate would typically be a round ketterlock above a fanlock.

i believe that what you have there is a fan lock with escutcheon lock and day lock and a dummy knob.
    any guesses which is which?
    Thanks for that Tom, I never thought of a day lock which I've only seen once before and that was on a huge Milner in the City Collector's Dept. of the Glasgow Corporation. It was a spring latch which I assumed to be an emergency closure device against hold-up.

I'll guess that the top left handle is a pull handle and top right the keyhole shutter knob with the cross-locking bars round handle below.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Everyone can go off pisste as much as they want as long as they are posting pictures and info of these beauties.

S51497 style treasury standard quality safe (new design)

S52570 the record that I believe contain this serial number has been cropped upon producing the file, so have counted back and it looks to be a similar description to above

date of 1929 on the index but possibly 1933 on the fiche line

if I find anything else I will post it up.

Many thanks Gary for having taken the trouble. Wolverhampton was very obliging in the early days when they came up with the reference to CB Specials for the Commercial Bank.
    Tann likewise was equally obliging to Chubb.

Thread Information