Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: chubb safe no32

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Just noticed the CB Quality Chatwood has two boltwork handles, another to add to the list. Was going to start a new thread on such a few years ago as safes with two working handles are a rarity, but only managed I think it was three or four. Sorry to carry on the CB topic on your no32 Chubb thread Gary, but in my defence it was safeman that started it

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Just noticed the CB Quality Chatwood has two boltwork handles, another to add to the list. Was going to start a new thread on such a few years ago as safes with two working handles are a rarity, but only managed I think it was three or four. Sorry to carry on the CB topic on your no32 Chubb thread Gary, but in my defence it was safeman that started it
    Putting aside double doored safes I presume, I have a safe with three (sort of) working handles and one fixed -Chatwood of course.

A key unlocks first knob so that it can be unscrewed, showing the main keyhole behind.
    Main key arranges levers in lock so that second handle can move the bolt stump into the levers
    Third handles moves boltwork.
    Fourth handle is to pull open safe door.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Putting aside double doored safes I presume, I have a safe with three (sort of) working handles and one fixed -Chatwood of course.
    Yes Tom, there's nothing rare or special about double door safes with working handles for boltwork on both doors.

Had I started the dedicated thread back then I'd have been more specific but I'm referring to single door safes with 2 handles needed for multi stage boltwork (for whatever reason),like higher range Steven Cox's safes Coxgear boltwork, since most manufacturers stuck with single handle/spindle drive, operating all stages in one sweep with gears or cams.

Your Chatwood sounds interesting though, let's see some pictures please, anything with threaded knobs covering keyholes wasn't what I originally had in mind but it sounds an interesting safe in its own right.
    PS, At the risk of the A-L award for pointlessly pedantic pedantry, isn't the fourth handle on your Chatwood just a 'door pull'? <<digs into TDR bunker with titanium and kevlar hat>>

Yes Tom, there's nothing rare or special about double door safes with working handles for boltwork on both doors.

Had I started the dedicated thread back then I'd have been more specific but I'm referring to single door safes with 2 handles needed for multi stage boltwork (for whatever reason),like higher range Steven Cox's safes Coxgear boltwork, since most manufacturers stuck with single handle/spindle drive, operating all stages in one sweep with gears or cams.

Your Chatwood sounds interesting though, let's see some pictures please, anything with threaded knobs covering keyholes wasn't what I originally had in mind but it sounds an interesting safe in its own right.
    PS, At the risk of the A-L award for pointlessly pedantic pedantry, isn't the fourth handle on your Chatwood just a 'door pull'? <<digs into TDR bunker with titanium and kevlar hat>>
    Fixed handle/pull handle...no 3rd world war going to break out over those definitions!
    Some big Chatwood had 2 handles to throw half the bolts per handle, for ease of operation.
    mine is a List 8 with a fan lock plus £50 (yes £50) added option of the screw down escutcheon/knob which is unlocked by a cabinet lock with a keyhole just under the hinge (there is a steel bolt all the way from the cabinet lock into the knob.)

Some big Chatwood had 2 handles to throw half the bolts per handle, for ease of operation.
    Now that's what I was hoping for Tom, sounds similar to the SCox safes which, despite the Coxgear name only drove the leading and trailing boltwork independently by each handle.

mine is a List 8 with a fan lock plus £50 (yes £50) added option of the screw down escutcheon/knob which is unlocked by a cabinet lock with a keyhole just under the hinge (there is a steel bolt all the way from the cabinet lock into the knob.)
    Come on then let's see it when you have time, you rarely post pics of your stuff and your 'keyhole just under the hinge' has now got me paying attention at the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA439698-67A3-4B2B-A12B-CF4C26687295.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	20220
    Now that's what I was hoping for Tom, sounds similar to the SCox safes which, despite the Coxgear name only drove the leading and trailing boltwork independently by each handle.

Well, you can see the fan lock here along with some Perspex I have been laser cutting for replacing the inner lock’s cover, the fans and the thick outer cap in different pastel coloured Perspex, so that it can be seen working. The spare key was not original - it is a Belcher masterpiece
    Knob pictures another time...

Come on then let's see it when you have time, you rarely post pics of your stuff and your 'keyhole just under the hinge' has now got me paying attention at the back.

Now that's an impressive oddball Tom, cheers.
    PS you mentioned the lockable escutcheon knob as an optional extra @ £50 and yet it's locked by just a cabinet lock :-O
    Often wondered where they got some of their prices from. Their top end stuff often seemed excessively more than Chubb or Tann.

Wonder has there ever been mention of what they priced the CB Quality's back in the day, probably more than a country Manor house..

Now that's an impressive oddball Tom, cheers.
    PS you mentioned the lockable escutcheon knob as an optional extra @ £50 and yet it's locked by just a cabinet lock :-O
    Often wondered where they got some of their prices from. Their top end stuff often seemed excessively more than Chubb or Tann.

Wonder has there ever been mention of what they priced the CB Quality's back in the day, probably more than a country Manor house..
    Ah, but to be fair, it was only an escutcheon lock but they had to make and fit the cabinet lock, the steel rod, the knob AND the screw thread for the knob so it would be difficult to do that for under £50 😺

Especially at that time 50 quid were basically nothing.

Ah, but to be fair, it was only an escutcheon lock but they had to make and fit the cabinet lock, the steel rod, the knob AND the screw thread for the knob so it would be difficult to do that for under £50 ��
    Ah, so fair play then Tom, what age is it?

Thread Information