Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Back to front George Price

The lock on this safe pictured has the bolt lathe and anti pressure plate in front of the nine levers. VD the key turns acw to open.
    It appears to be an exact flip of their classic lock.
    With anti pressure device and the lever bellies which thwart navigation from one to another it could be quite a challenge to pick.
    If it does come to a rotary attack then I want to be spot on with a tiny hole.
    Can anyone confirm that the dimensions match the G Price lock with standard layout levers in front of bolt c/w to open.
    Lock photo is of the classic layout
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03032010082.jpg   Image7467363200690731440.jpg  

I have not seen the lock with the bolt in front so unfortunately do not know, would suspect if the key turns the opposite direction to open that the dp would be different.

Anecdotally, one of the hardest doors I ever came across was a George Price!

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Well I never, havent seen a reversed hand NePlus Ultra lock (or even knew they existed) but the few standard ones I had varied fractionally on dimensions and the dp IIRC. Difficult one that as even if someone has a reversed lock to measure there may still be small differences, depends just how tiny a hole you were planning I suppose Alan.
    Found most powderproof locks of that era Milner's, Chubbs etc showed small variations in positions and dp's. I will never forget a GP normal NePlus I opened 30 years ago and wow, that had one of the toughest hardplates of anything I ever encountered and yes, everything was very slightly out. It was Xmas eve and I was there till midnight. Most weren't anywhere near that hard though so hope that ones a softie as it might be a bit of an unknown...

Chris Hewitt opened a strong room door with similar back to front lock which he thinks he has somewhere. Due to self build he's a bit busy to find it though!
    I'll make some bits up to try and manipulate and decode first.

This is what I feared Huw. Like you I find slight differences on all these older more hand made locks.
    Was hoping to drop to 2-3mm once through to the lockcase

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Well I never, havent seen a reversed hand NePlus Ultra lock (or even knew they existed) but the few standard ones I had varied fractionally on dimensions and the dp IIRC. Difficult one that as even if someone has a reversed lock to measure there may still be small differences, depends just how tiny a hole you were planning I suppose Alan.
    Found most powderproof locks of that era Milner's, Chubbs etc showed small variations in positions and dp's. I will never forget a GP normal NePlus I opened 30 years ago and wow, that had one of the toughest hardplates of anything I ever encountered and yes, everything was very slightly out. It was Xmas eve and I was there till midnight. Most weren't anywhere near that hard though so hope that ones a softie as it might be a bit of an unknown...

Thread Information