Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Chubb Kalamazoo

Default Chubb Kalamazoo

Anyone ever heard of one or have any info on one?
    Seems to read proofed table with 4? trays, not sure if it was a safe model with the above fitments or another item of bank equipment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180817_072752_Burst01.jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Gary think I have hand written notes/diagrams but it'll be 10 days or so before I can dig anything out. Going From memory they were 4 drawer fireproof cabinets, I will pm you whatever notes I have when I can.

Default Kalamazoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Gary think I have hand written notes/diagrams but it'll be 10 days or so before I can dig anything out. Going From memory they were 4 drawer fireproof cabinets, I will pm you whatever notes I have when I can.
    At the risk of stating something already known, Kalamazoo was a type of suspension filing system way back.
    A similar system with cabinets called Copeland & Chatterton plus Remington and Burroughs also produced cabinets to protect their systems. This would have been in the early days of punch cards and tape from companies like Hollerith.

Kalamazoo made a variety of systems for filing, referencing etc. The safe could be a holder for any of these systems I suppose.

I shall ask you all a question. There is a small prize if anyone can get the correct answer before the end of the month. A bank where I did some work held the account for the British Legion poppy fund. It must have been an odd account- there would have been loads of deposits in November and probably 1 transfer out each year. It was in the Kardex system somewhere. What do you think they had it referenced under? Was it P for poppy day etc?

The problem was that without the name under which it was filed, it was impossible to find the account number, and without the account number, things were impossible.

Thread Information