Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default chatwood in Science Musem

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large_B761221-science-museum.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	20129

Oddly this is stated to be 1891 (presumably from the lock serial numbers) but has 2 plaques celebrating awards from 40 years before... and the escutcheon says Bolton but they didn’t move there until 1928
    the factory could have refurbed a new escutcheon on an old safe, but it makes you wonder about the 2 plaques.

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

What an impressive Chatwood Tom, sure is a mish mash of dates on that one- it also has 1890 painted on the top hinge.
    I wonder if its ever been out on display to actually see it or more than likely buried somewhere in a basement storeroom with 10,000 other forgotten exhibits piled in front of it!

Default Chatwood Science Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    What an impressive Chatwood Tom, sure is a mish mash of dates on that one- it also has 1890 painted on the top hinge.
    I wonder if its ever been out on display to actually see it or more than likely buried somewhere in a basement storeroom with 10,000 other forgotten exhibits piled in front of it!

When I saw this while it was still on display in Kensington the card stated that it had been used to house the remains of the bronze Russian cannon from which the Victoria Crosses were being made

Over embellished for effect!

The image is on their website -whether the safe still exists I dont know, but might be nice to get some people together and arrange to see it if they have it.
    The 1890 is part of a longer serial number with an extra digit, which makes it 1891.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    When I saw this while it was still on display in Kensington the card stated that it had been used to house the remains of the bronze Russian cannon from which the Victoria Crosses were being made

Over embellished for effect!
    It also states which jewellers they got it from

The first Victoria Crosses were awarded just after 1854, so this safe is not contemporary to that despite the badges, but it may have had them transferred later to this safe, when they decided they wanted to lock up the cannon bits that were left in a large safe

This bronze is now stored in an anonymous MoD store somewhere in the south of England. It was shown in a tv programme about the VC. They are made in batches quite infrequently. Lord Ashcroft [is that right?] has been paying £1M for some medals, but they were made for 30/- including box and ribbon. They have only scrap value until they are engraved.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbbramah View Post
    This bronze is now stored in an anonymous MoD store somewhere in the south of England. It was shown in a tv programme about the VC. They are made in batches quite infrequently. Lord Ashcroft [is that right?] has been paying £1M for some medals, but they were made for 30/- including box and ribbon. They have only scrap value until they are engraved.
    Good -controls Belize and appears to be a non dom Lord in the UK (which is not allowed) -maybe we can sell him a few Chatwood safes for £1000000 or two to store his medals in.

Default Science Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    The image is on their website -whether the safe still exists I dont know, but might be nice to get some people together and arrange to see it if they have it.
    The 1890 is part of a longer serial number with an extra digit, which makes it 1891.
    Tom, I seem to remember that there was such a visit many years ago to the storage warehouse in the West Country (?) arranged by either Brian or more likely Tony Beck.
    My contact in 1992 at Kensington was Jane Insley who confirmed that the safes I had seen at the Museum were still in storage and that I could acquire photographs such as the one on the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Tom, I seem to remember that there was such a visit many years ago to the storage warehouse in the West Country (?) arranged by either Brian or more likely Tony Beck.
    My contact in 1992 at Kensington was Jane Insley who confirmed that the safes I had seen at the Museum were still in storage and that I could acquire photographs such as the one on the first post.
    After 26 years, maybe another visit is in order... are you up for it?
    i will speak to Brian.

Thread Information