Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Best 61B model padlocks

I know this is not an antique, but I was hoping someone on here who collects or works with Best locks would know the answer.

I've seen what people are referring to as 61B or 61B722 locks show up a few times on ebay recently--Best padlocks that appear to be made in the old style (lever locking, double figure-8 pattern on the bottom), but with the new Best Access logo and 26D finish. I cannot find these in the current Best catalog, and info on the internet appears to be almost nonexistent. Until I saw these, I had already assumed that the lever style locks were all discontinued in the early 1990's when Best switched to the Junkunc/American ball bearing mechanism?

I guess the question should be, does Best still produce any padlocks larger than the typical 41B lock, or anything that retains the old style construction that all Best padlocks originally used?

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    I know this is not an antique, but I was hoping someone on here who collects or works with Best locks would know the answer.

I've seen what people are referring to as 61B or 61B722 locks show up a few times on ebay recently--Best padlocks that appear to be made in the old style (lever locking, double figure-8 pattern on the bottom), but with the new Best Access logo and 26D finish. I cannot find these in the current Best catalog, and info on the internet appears to be almost nonexistent. Until I saw these, I had already assumed that the lever style locks were all discontinued in the early 1990's when Best switched to the Junkunc/American ball bearing mechanism?

I guess the question should be, does Best still produce any padlocks larger than the typical 41B lock, or anything that retains the old style construction that all Best padlocks originally used?
    I'm no expert on Best, but 41B appears to be the largest; see pdf of B Series padlocks at the link:
    http://bestaccess.com/files/6814/636...BAS028_WEB.pdf

Pete Schifferli

If you are seeking a h.d. padlock to accommodate Best-type small format interchangeable cores consider Abus 83CS-IC55 S2. See pg. 9 for this and other SFIC versions in their 83 Series 2 pdf brochure at the link:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bqWn1S6X_D4W6E
    MSRP on that model is $60.00 each and the entire 83 Series 2 rekeyables are highly recommended by your truly.

Pete Schifferli

Default Best 61B model padlocks Your Message

I used to work with all of BEST Lock. Yes they have change alot so many time. In old day the padlock I use to have would be 2-1/2 L, 1" W and 2-1/4" Tall. I don't know what the model number but if i do find it will let you know for sure. It was one of there bigger BEST padlock.....Timothy.....

Have PDF and it is model 27B & 37B Series. They don't make it anymore.....Timothy.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Found information on 61B Series Padlock in pdf. This is all what left. Don't think BEST Company carry these old catalog to give out any more.....Timothy.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Info is greatly appreciated

Thanks everyone for the info! I'm strictly interested in Best locks from a collector standpoint--I've collected them for decades, but have little documentation about them. Based on the catalog info posted, I have at least 4 examples of the 61B722 padlock. I wish I had an example of the 27B or 37B. It's a shame they don't produce the wide variety of specialty locks they once did before Best Lock changed to Best Access.

Thanks everyone for the info! I'm strictly interested in Best locks from a collector standpoint--I've collected them for decades, but have little documentation about them. Based on the catalog info posted, I have at least 4 examples of the 61B722 padlock. I wish I had an example of the 27B or 37B. It's a shame they don't produce the wide variety of specialty locks they once did before Best Lock changed to Best Access.

There was 1B, 2B, 4B, 5B, 6B, 71B, 14B, 8B, 81B, 91B, 21JB, 4M, 27B, 37B

The 21JB is a normal padlock body with a cable instead of a shackle, the 4M is a cable lock that looks like a bicycle lock with a long oval lock cylinder housing.

1-6 are normal style padlocks. The 5B is fairly rare and was only produced for a few years.

71B, 81B, 91B are all high security padlocks with the protected core faces.

8B is a bigger brass padlock. 14B is like the 8B but half the size. I have only ever seen 2 of them before, quite rare and never seen them in a catalog.

27 and 37B are bigger padlocks steel bodies, 27 is normal while the 37 is shrouded. They do not have the core protection.

Default Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riyame View Post
    There was 1B, 2B, 4B, 5B, 6B, 71B, 14B, 8B, 81B, 91B, 21JB, 4M, 27B, 37B

The 21JB is a normal padlock body with a cable instead of a shackle, the 4M is a cable lock that looks like a bicycle lock with a long oval lock cylinder housing.

1-6 are normal style padlocks. The 5B is fairly rare and was only produced for a few years.

71B, 81B, 91B are all high security padlocks with the protected core faces.

8B is a bigger brass padlock. 14B is like the 8B but half the size. I have only ever seen 2 of them before, quite rare and never seen them in a catalog.

27 and 37B are bigger padlocks steel bodies, 27 is normal while the 37 is shrouded. They do not have the core protection.

Many thanks for the details. Many of these I've never heard of or seen before.

As an aside, it appears that one of the locks I have that I thought was a 61b is actually a 6b, at least according to the paper wrapper it came in. From what I can tell, the 61b is the same as a later model 6b, with the exception of the loose throw member. Every 2, 4, & 6b I have seen has the fixed throw pins which are part of the lock.

Thread Information