Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medeco padlocks

Default Medeco padlocks

I've had these nine padlocks laying around for a long time. I don't know anything about padlocks and was hoping someone could tell me what I have and what value they have, if that's allowed to ask. They have Medeco 519 stamped on the bottom and are all keyed to the one key that I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3740 (2).JPG  

Default Medeco padlocks

For sure you do have Medeco Padlock and made by Medeco Company. If asking about the value that would be hard to tell but really not that old. The 519 stamp on bottom should match the key stamp you have there. You might look up Medeco Lock Company should have all information on padlock you have....Timothy....

Quote Originally Posted by CountyWorker View Post
    I've had these nine padlocks laying around for a long time. I don't know anything about padlocks and was hoping someone could tell me what I have and what value they have, if that's allowed to ask. They have Medeco 519 stamped on the bottom and are all keyed to the one key that I have.
    Medeco was formed in 1967, they developed a new high security cylinder using angular bittings on the key, which rotated the chisel-pointed pins that raised the pins to the proper shear line and also rotated the pins 20° right or left to line up the true slot or holes in the pins, which allowed the side bar to retract and unlock the cylinder. Today they are an ASSA ABLOY Group Company. Padlocks such as yours could retail for about $100.00 ea. in new condition.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    For sure you do have Medeco Padlock and made by Medeco Company. If asking about the value that would be hard to tell but really not that old. The 519 stamp on bottom should match the key stamp you have there. You might look up Medeco Lock Company should have all information on padlock you have....Timothy....
    Thanks Timothy,

I knew they weren't antiques, but I thought that they may have been from the '70s, because they've been laying around here for a long time. Could they be that old?

Also, I thought that they might be just old enough that somebody would be interested in purchasing them.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Medeco was formed in 1967, they developed a new high security cylinder using angular bittings on the key, which rotated the chisel-pointed pins that raised the pins to the proper shear line and also rotated the pins 20° right or left to line up the true slot or holes in the pins, which allowed the side bar to retract and unlock the cylinder. Today they are an ASSA ABLOY Group Company. Padlocks such as yours could retail for about $100.00 ea. in new condition.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks Pete.

Do you have any idea of what a fair price would be for the nine of them in used condition?

Dale

Default Medeco Padlocks

Hard to say how much the padlock will be but if you selling it on eBay does make a big differ of how much whoever bit on the lock.....Timothy......

Default Medeco Padlocks

Those are pretty common padlocks. I have a couple just like them which will take either 51s cylinders or the 32s removable core. I believe I paid around $30 for one in slightly used condition with what looks like a new cylinder & two keys plus duplication card.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    Those are pretty common padlocks. I have a couple just like them which will take either 51s cylinders or the 32s removable core. I believe I paid around $30 for one in slightly used condition with what looks like a new cylinder & two keys plus duplication card.
    Thanks for the reply,

I knew that they weren't anything too special. I listed them on Craigslist for $180($20 each) thinking a property owner with multiple gates would like to have them and a "Locksport" guy - I had never heard of Locksport - contacted me and wanted to give me $120 for them, because he said that they were good for practicing something. I told him that he could have them for $150 and he said that $120 was as much as he would give me. I'd have to turn in my Man Card to take his first offer after I came down, so I kept them.

Is $20 apiece a fair price for them?

Arrow Depends on condition & use

Quote Originally Posted by CountyWorker View Post
    Thanks for the reply,

I knew that they weren't anything too special. I listed them on Craigslist for $180($20 each) thinking a property owner with multiple gates would like to have them and a "Locksport" guy - I had never heard of Locksport - contacted me and wanted to give me $120 for them, because he said that they were good for practicing something. I told him that he could have them for $150 and he said that $120 was as much as he would give me. I'd have to turn in my Man Card to take his first offer after I came down, so I kept them.

Is $20 apiece a fair price for them?

I think it really boils down to what the intended buyer wants to do with them. You won't get top dollar on Craigslist. Most members of the public don't know the difference between Master & Medeco, and will look only at cost. I think there are plenty of padlocks out there of equivalent size that cost $10-15 tops at the big box store. That's with 2 keys each brand new. Medeco is worth more because it is orders of magnitude more secure than the common store padlocks. But for someone who knows the difference, your padlocks might be problematic if more than just 1 key is needed. Getting keys made might be impossible if these are a restricted keyway. I would pass on these if the cylinders had to be replaced or all of them rekeyed.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    I think it really boils down to what the intended buyer wants to do with them. You won't get top dollar on Craigslist. Most members of the public don't know the difference between Master & Medeco, and will look only at cost. I think there are plenty of padlocks out there of equivalent size that cost $10-15 tops at the big box store. That's with 2 keys each brand new. Medeco is worth more because it is orders of magnitude more secure than the common store padlocks. But for someone who knows the difference, your padlocks might be problematic if more than just 1 key is needed. Getting keys made might be impossible if these are a restricted keyway. I would pass on these if the cylinders had to be replaced or all of them rekeyed.

Thanks again.

I didn't think that $20 apiece was top dollar when I listed them on Craigslist. I looked at the "sold" prices on ebay and they were significantly higher than that. I suppose I'll drop the price and see how it goes.

Thread Information