Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I assume those locks are original.... Chatwood clearly kept at the very least an interested eye on American safes and locks. He copied the ideas of night deposit safes, round doors on a cylindrical safes and had flat steel keys on some safety deposit locks. I think be bought in those sd locks from S&G, so I would say he was happy to buy in product where he temporarily didn’t have the manufacturing capacity himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Or get other companies like kromer to supply them?
    Had to open one on a Chatwood Treasury today and when I look at something like a SAM lock, it makes me think it could have been Chatwood made, this one I suspect was bought in.
    Gary,sorry to take so long to reply.

Between 1932-33 Chatwood designed and produced two entirely new combination locks.
    These were Chatwood 'A' type and Chatwood 'C' type. The former had a numbered dial and as Cepassacus states was in effect a version of the Sargent & Greenleaf heavy lock finished in dull satin chrome/nickel. This fits exactly with your illustration as regards the markings.
    The type 'C' was an updated S.A.M. 3 wheel lock with 4 wheels and alphabetical dial,

Default Chatwood type 'c' alpha dial & ring

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Gary,sorry to take so long to reply.

Between 1932-33 Chatwood designed and produced two entirely new combination locks.
    These were Chatwood 'A' type and Chatwood 'C' type. The former had a numbered dial and as Cepassacus states was in effect a version of the Sargent & Greenleaf heavy lock finished in dull satin chrome/nickel. This fits exactly with your illustration as regards the markings.
    The type 'C' was an updated S.A.M. 3 wheel lock with 4 wheels and alphabetical dial,
    Unusual, methinks, to find any of these Type 'C' Dials/locks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4107 (2).JPG   IMG_4109.JPG  

Many thanks, so mine is a type A and was made by Chatwood, cheers.

Thread Information