Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tann Safe Identification

Can anyone please help me with this. I will update photos later. I think it is either a TST or TBT series two.
    Middle bolt is stamped 89392. One of the top bolts is stamped ES 6-7-82, assuming the last part is the date have no idea what the ES means. It is an Intersec imported from England

I am sure the model names were different for the US and UK versions . They normally have a bit of dyno tape on the top hinge and this one looks to have it, it may be worth asking for a picture close up of this to see if it aids the ID.

Default Tann Safe Identification.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    I am sure the model names were different for the US and UK versions . They normally have a bit of dyno tape on the top hinge and this one looks to have it, it may be worth asking for a picture close up of this to see if it aids the ID.
    Gary,The label on the hinge is a metal tab that says Made In England. I am posting the American version of the brochure here. The wording is pretty much identical for the same range of safes on AtoZ's website. For the US market all the safes had the "Tann Timer". I do not know if this was installed on the UK versions. They did have different colors for the different models but who knows how many times this safe has been repainted. Even though they are both rated as a grade 5 the TST would appear to have a more substantial body than the TBT. I have a customer looking for an extremely high quality safe
    and i know that both Treasury and bankers would be a formidable adversary. However if it is the TSB version then it will not meet his requirements. So i am still hoping that the letters and numbers on the top bolt will jog somebody's memory. I do remember Chubb would have letters stamped in the boltwork area to identify their different models that looked identical, such as the Resolute and the BT, do you know if Tann did something similar. Again any help from anyone would be appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't know if a 5 ft. Tann Bankers Mk.8 would fit your needs but there may be one for sale very soon here in Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    I don't know if a 5 ft. Tann Bankers Mk.8 would fit your needs but there may be one for sale very soon here in Cleveland.
    Appreciate the offer, but stuck on a TST if at all possible

Over here the bankers treasury had TBT bolt code and mark 1 and 2 super treasury were stamped TST, so the ES presumably relates to Intersecs re-naming for the American market like Gary says.
    Im not aware of an ES bolt code for any British market Tann though, so Im of no help with that.

I reckon safeman will have more for you as he knows loads about Tanns American market adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    Gary,The label on the hinge is a metal tab that says Made In England. I am posting the American version of the brochure here. The wording is pretty much identical for the same range of safes on AtoZ's website. For the US market all the safes had the "Tann Timer". I do not know if this was installed on the UK versions. They did have different colors for the different models but who knows how many times this safe has been repainted. Even though they are both rated as a grade 5 the TST would appear to have a more substantial body than the TBT. I have a customer looking for an extremely high quality safe
    and i know that both Treasury and bankers would be a formidable adversary. However if it is the TSB version then it will not meet his requirements. So i am still hoping that the letters and numbers on the top bolt will jog somebody's memory. I do remember Chubb would have letters stamped in the boltwork area to identify their different models that looked identical, such as the Resolute and the BT, do you know if Tann did something similar. Again any help from anyone would be appreciated
    That is what I mean about hem calling them different names, ie jewellers for TBT, I didn't mean the metal plate on he hinge, there is plastic stick on tape on the side of the top hinge block on the ebay picture, hard to see as it is the same colour as the hinge, the uk versions did have the model stamped on the bed plate of the door

hopefully these will show what I mean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600.jpg   s-l1600a.jpg   tann tbt 21-9-06 - Copy.JPG  

[QUOTE=Gary Stephenson;29584]hopefully these will show what I mean.[/QUOTE
    Thanks for the image that is immensely helpful.

Thread Information