Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Grandad's old safe

Ive spent some time researching for any information on this safe but didnt have any luck. Value isnt important but i am curious if its worth getting restored or painted?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180129_140633342_HDR[1].jpg   IMG_20180129_141024504_HDR[1].jpg   IMG_20180129_141049681_HDR[1].jpg  

I can't help you on what it is. You are the wrong side of the pond for me!

I do like spyproof dial shields. If that is a decent combination lock, and as there appears to be a relocker on it, then it is worth keeping. It appears only to be a fire resisting safe, but even that gives a degree of security, so you might like to keep it. Passports, confidential papers etc. need to go somewhere. It never ceases to surprise me how some people take no care of such important items.

ive had a fascination with this safe since i was a small kid but have never owned one. so its fireproof, but only to a certain degree? is the combo on this type of safe re settable?

Default combo lock config

4 left 3 right 2 left right to zero(drop)

Any fire resisting safe is only fire resisting to a limited extent. Just as any thief resisting safe resists only up to a point.

I should have said fire resistant, not fireproof. I took the back plate off the door and it has a sargent and Greenleaf r6730 group 2 lock from Rochester, N.Y.? I've looked that model up and it seems to be fairly common?

Ideal lock for a unit such as that.

Thread Information