Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help Identifying a safe

I recently came into possession of a safe that sat in my Dad's garage for a few decades. He got it out of the old Southern Pacific Railroad building in Houston. n the dial, it reads "Manufactured by Yale for Herring-Hall Marvin Safe Co." Otherwise, I don't have any information about the safe. I'd like to know the time frame it was built, weight and anything else that might help me.
    Cody
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safe.jpg   Safe1.jpg   Safe4.jpg   Safe2.jpg  

Default Hhm

The safe is a HHM ( Herring Hall & Marvin). The lock is a custom made lock for HHM by Yale. This safe and lock where made about 1928. The lock is a HE Yale style lock.
    The 3 wheel mesh change type lock . ( hand change type) The safe is missing the castors. The weight is about 200 to 500 lbs. Hard to tell from a picture. hope this helps Tim

Default Thank you Tim Davison

Thanks, that does help. However, the weight is heavier. I hired safe movers and it came in at 600+lbs which I believe since it is much heavier than my 430 lb. gun safe. But the manufacturer and lock is dead on. I wish it still had the castors...is that an item that can easily come by if I wanted to put them back on?

Not that I would want to sell it, but do you have any idea what the value of the safe is? Measurements are 36"x 28"x 24" (h x w x d)

Thread Information