Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default New shackle on old Yale PKPT padlock

I picked up this old Yale PKPT padlock recently and was surprised by what I found.
    It looks like a new taller shackle was made and attached to the lock.
    The new shackle is made from steel and there is a small gap where it is attached to the old shackle assembly. (see photo with a shim placed in the gap) There are what appear to be file marks on this new shackle.
    I don’t know how the new shackle is attached. I hesitate to try to remove the new shackle as I am afraid that it may cause permanent damage.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or why anyone would go to the trouble of doing this?

I have attached photos to try to show this.
    Note: The collet ( is that the correct name for it) that houses the shackle on the other side has been loosened
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yale pkpt.jpg   yale pkpt2.jpg   yale pkpt3.jpg   yale pkpt5.jpg   yale pkpt7.jpg  

I think I has seen some of that Yale Padlock with Long Shackle. The way I look at your padlock someone may have try to take it apart. Yes they do come apart but don't think can explain it on this forum. If you are not a locksmith it would be better not to take apart as piece will fly all over. When you put the key in the cylinder and push in the cylinder and shackle come up and turn to open....Timothy....

Why they did this, I have no idea. However, on some of my PKPT padlocks the shackle is threaded into the lock cylinder and held in position by the square key that locates the cylinder in the lock housing. You can see the square key end just below the brass collar of the cylinder. You can grip it with a vice grip and pull it out, allowing the two pieces to unscrew from each other. Was you lock open when you got it or did you pick/shim it open ? If it was open, is there spring tension trying to pull the shackle down ? The cap under the open end of the shackle, if unscrewed will loosen the tension on the spring which pulls the shackle down. Hope this helps, Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thanks for the replies.
    My lock was in the locked position when I got it and I shimmed it open.
    I loosed the cap under the open end of the shackle with the aim of dismantling the lock and making a new key when my blanks arrive.

If you have never taken one of these apart before, or for others who never have, you'll have to completely remove the brass cap and then slide the spring back to clear the groove cut into the lock cylinder, which keeps the cylinder in the lock body. Be careful when reassembling the lock and putting the spring back into place. The bottom of the brass cap has a pin which goes through a hole in the spring end. If you try to tighten the brass cap without the pin in the hole, the spring can break.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Looking at your padlock, I'm not so sure it's not a factory shackle. That body design is of the later model and when Yale went to the serrated key from the flat key, the shackles went round instead of the flat sided brass. Granted the only round ones I've seen were brass, doesn't mean the factory didn't experiment and produce some in steel. I actually have a older design body with the trefoil design that has the serrated key and cylinder, which makes me think that Yale used up old parts,incorporating them into new locks rather than discarding them.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Can you post picture of cylinder.

Oldbiscuit was right about how to take it apart.

I'm sure have seen that padlock with long shackle. I think it was on eBay.....Timothy...

The keyway on this lock is not the serrated type but rather takes a the flat steel key.

What do you make of the marks that I thought were file marks on the shackle? They are mostly on both sides of the shackle, the inside is smooth and the outside they are worn away by a linear abrasion. Are they file marks or could they have been caused by a chain or something else rubbing on the shackle? (see photo)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yale pkpt10.jpg  

The way it look to me like someone using wire brush on machine. Could be cleaning the shackle off from rust or whatever other crap on the shackle....Timothy.....

Are you sure these marks are not stress related from bending the brass to form the shackle ?

Thread Information