Welcome to our world of Locks and Locksmiths (click logo or scroll down to view all):-
 www.Antique-Locks.com 
  
HoL
   COLTi
Or are you looking for modern, or recent past,
Keys, Locks or Safes.
keys, locks & safes
Industrial Archaeology of Locks HoL Museum
COLTi
  
Please support our forum sponsors where you can.
Researching locks from antiquity to the recent past.Maintaining a reference collection & archive.Today's scene and cutting edge developments.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4
    Country: United States

    Default Bicycle clasp and padlock

    I found this at a garage sale. It appears to be a brass bicycle clasp and padlock. I believe I have narrowed it's production down to Willenham England but I have not been able to determine a manufacturer. Any information anyone might be able to offer would be appreciated.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0531182146b (2).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	784.2 KB 
ID:	19970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0531182146 (2).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	901.3 KB 
ID:	19971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0531182145a (2).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	651.1 KB 
ID:	19969

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    538
    Country: United States

    Default Bicycle clasp and padlock

    If you can give picture of front of the padlock with key hole and maybe the back. That padlock to me doesn't go to that bike lock. I not sure as the last time seeing the right lock that go to it. But the padlock have seen it so many time as almost like for RR padlock....Timothy.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4
    Country: United States

    Default Bicycle clasp and padlock

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    If you can give picture of front of the padlock with key hole and maybe the back. That padlock to me doesn't go to that bike lock. I not sure as the last time seeing the right lock that go to it. But the padlock have seen it so many time as almost like for RR padlock....Timothy.....
    Let me know if you would like to see any other pictures.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0531182146a (2).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	19977 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0605180921 (2).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	629.0 KB 
ID:	19978

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tgambill View Post
    Let me know if you would like to see any other pictures.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0531182146a (2).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	19977 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0605180921 (2).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	629.0 KB 
ID:	19978
    Can you post a picture of the entire thing you are calling a clasp?
    BBE.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4
    Country: United States

    Default

    [QUOTE=BBE;29416]Can you post a picture of the entire thing you are calling a clasp?
    BBE.[/QUOTE
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0611182221 (2).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	946.4 KB 
ID:	19979

  6. #6

    Default

    [QUOTE=tgambill;29419]
    Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    Can you post a picture of the entire thing you are calling a clasp?
    BBE.[/QUOTE
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0611182221 (2).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	946.4 KB 
ID:	19979
    I thought that is what it would look like. A very popular item in the 1800's in the US, it is a salesman's lock for his sample goods which were typically rolled up an then this hasp placed around it and locked. Someone may have used one to lock up a bicycle, but that isn't what it was designed for because bicycles weren't invented until this lock and hasp had been in use for many years. I think they pretty much stopped being used or made with the invention of the automobile with a locking trunk
    BBE.
    BBE.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4
    Country: United States

    Default

    [QUOTE=BBE;29420]
    Quote Originally Posted by tgambill View Post

    I thought that is what it would look like. A very popular item in the 1800's in the US, it is a salesman's lock for his sample goods which were typically rolled up an then this hasp placed around it and locked. Someone may have used one to lock up a bicycle, but that isn't what it was designed for because bicycles weren't invented until this lock and hasp had been in use for many years. I think they pretty much stopped being used or made with the invention of the automobile with a locking trunk
    BBE.
    BBE.
    Thank you for the information.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    538
    Country: United States

    Default Bicycle clasp and padlock

    I have see lot of those hasp but problem was using too many differ padlock. The one see on this post look more like British padlock because of the what stamp on front of the padlock. Could be wrong...Timothy.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    43
    Country: United States

    Default Bicycle clasp and padlock

    That clasp look an awful lot like an early 20th century kit bag lock. BBE - can you explain the difference and how the OP might know?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregWhitney View Post
    That clasp look an awful lot like an early 20th century kit bag lock. BBE - can you explain the difference and how the OP might know?
    That may have been the evolutionary use, but no actual difference in the product, designed to be locked around something so it could not be opened/accessed.
    BBE.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •