Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default research details on titanic's safes

hi guys, i recently read an article on a old millers safe found by a couple in their garden in UK, the article told milners was the builder of the Titanic' safes. as a big fan of miners i am i will be glad if someone give some details or photos of the beast. very exited. after a quick research i didn't found anything !

merci beaucoup

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    hi guys, i recently read an article on a old millers safe found by a couple in their garden in UK, the article told milners was the builder of the Titanic' safes. as a big fan of miners i am i will be glad if someone give some details or photos of the beast. very exited. after a quick research i didn't found anything !

merci beaucoup
    Hello again Stephane. Despite a duplicitous attempt to pass off a small Thos. Perry passengers safe found in the debris field with full television coverage, the safes supplied to the White Star Line were made by Milners.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Titanic Price 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	19963 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Titanic Voy.of Discov.(timeline).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	19964 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	..4 Milner Safes.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	19965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner DD.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	690.5 KB 
ID:	19966

They were installed in the Purser's Office for the safe keeping of passenger's valuables and probably in the Captain's office for the ships' papers. This section of the wreck was not investigated by Submersibles until quite recently but are virtually unidentifable due to the 'rusticles' formed on all steel surfaces. However, two brass pull handles as fitted to a double-door safe such as pictured above could just be credible as such.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mrs C Jewel Box - Purser.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	19967 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pursers bag.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	19968 Here is a little more information.

Thanks safeman for all details but why is it impossible to find photos of the safes before the drama ?

I suppose companies were as cagey about releasing photographs of their safes then as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Thanks safeman for all details but why is it impossible to find photos of the safes before the drama ?
    You expect too much Stephane. Why would such photographs exist? As Chubby points out for security reasons passengers would not be permitted to take such pictures. Secondly, I understand that most of the photographs of the internals of the ship were actually taken on the sister ship Olympic due to the haste of departing on time and even then would be unlikely to include the inside of the Purser's offices.
    In any case, I have no reason to believe that the appearance of the safes would be any different from all those produced around the same time.

you certainly right on the secure side and some "secrets" around safes on titanic but i was just very curious about them, not expected they was different of common product but just want to see them in this fabulous place ! apparently no chance for that. anyway thanks for reply.

Hi guys, just fall on this on the web. Apparently some customers on titanic came with there own safes.
    http://www.premierexhibitions.com/ex...or-rms-titanic

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sa...JvUvXGkeVjI3hM
    I would be surprised if some passengers didn’t have safes like these as their personail cabin safes too.

Thread Information