Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If I am not mistaken, I either found the Herring catalog online, or through the library Worldcat? loan system. It is entirely possible the box is an earlier Herring, but not the 1866 vintage. Also there would have been many makers of similar strong boxes in the mid 1800's. As well there were many keylocks that had big levers like that one. And Herring didn't always make ever lock they used on their safes. I believe the first screw cutting lathe dates back to the 1820's, but not positive on that. When I lathe cut screws, I often use a hack saw to cut the slot. Sometimes the slot looks perfect, sometimes not. So that doesn't help much. It is the overall design of the lock and how it was made that puts it in the early middle or mid 1800's, and not early or late in the century.

Default Strongbox lock identification Herring or Chubb

Doug, I thank you for your thoughts. I have little to make me think it was in the early part of the 1800's other than the lock design and the very rough cut screws.

Assuming I am correct in the owner of the box whose name is painted on the bottom in script and the campaigns of Shiloh and Corinth painted thereon, he had the box for sure at the time of his death at Atlanta in 1864.

Honestly, I'm grabbing for straws. I had competed my 17 year off and on attempt to learn all I could about this box and its supposed owner and had written my personal account of what I had learned, when I came across the Antique-Locks.com site. It is a phenomenal collection of knowledge. You know we never give up on our hopes and dreams.

I still believe it could be a Herring box just based on looks. Not a very sound basis, I agree, but all I had.

I would like for you to see the screws that attached the lock to the front of the strongbox. if this helps my case let me know. See attachment.

Now!! I hope shortly plan to post a picture of a jail cell that has been my side yard for the past 20 years. I know more about it. It was made by Diebold in Cleveland prior to 1890 with steel made in Pittsburg. It has four massive lever locks. Hope you will take a look at it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xyz.jpg  

I see what you mean about the screws. The long one doesn't even look like it would thread in. With the early 1800 locks I have seen, the cases were not cast, and that is the primary feature that makes me think yours is mid 1800's. Other than that, it could have been an earlier lock.

Thread Information