Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Strongbox lock identification Herring or Chubb?

Hi,
    I am new to the Forum. I need some help in identifying a lock and its age.
    So time ago, I bought strongbox with its original key at an estate sale. The Box measures 20 X 15" X 13" and weighs 126 lbs. it has triangular handles on each end. I believe the box was made by Herring of New York. I am attaching several pictures.
    From what I have seen on earlier postings, my lock may be Herring made Chubb 1828 look-alike. The lock is a self contained lever lock without the Detector.
    A note of interest in the picture of the lock's cover plate, you will see the original brass key. You will also note regarding the screws. Screw in upper right corner has one punched dot on screw and one punched dot on plate next to it. Upper left corner screw has two dots punched on it and two dots punched on plate next to it. Lower left screw has thee dots punched on it and three dots punched on plate next to it. The screw in the lower right corner has no dots on it.
    I would appreciate if someone could help me to identify the maker of the box, the lock and the its age.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ttt.jpg   fff.jpg   vvv.jpg  

Thread Information