Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Keil/Ilco 6-1/2 / 2196 instructions for cutting push keys

Hello,

Does anyone have instructions or tips on how to duplicate push keys on a Keil 6-1/2 / Ilco 2196 turret machine? I have a copy of operating instructions for Keil 6/6-1/2 but it does not cover which vises to use to best clamp and duplicate flat steel keys with the cuts on the end as we see with push keys.

To date I have been cutting new keys by eye but would like to understand how duplication was intended and begin to use this machine to it’s fullest. Nope, not cutting any bit keys (yet) but perhaps someday.

NOTE: I am not a locksmith but do have several key machines I have collected and use as part of my hobby. I mention this because of the limitations non-locksmiths have to some documentation.

Thank you!
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregWhitney View Post
    Hello,
    Does anyone have instructions or tips on how to duplicate push keys on a Keil 6-1/2 / Ilco 2196 turret machine? I have a copy of operating instructions for Keil 6/6-1/2 but it does not cover which vises to use to best clamp and duplicate flat steel keys with the cuts on the end as we see with push keys.
    To date I have been cutting new keys by eye but would like to understand how duplication was intended and begin to use this machine to it’s fullest. Nope, not cutting any bit keys (yet) but perhaps someday.
    NOTE: I am not a locksmith but do have several key machines I have collected and use as part of my hobby. I mention this because of the limitations non-locksmiths have to some documentation.
    Thank you!
    Greg
    Sorry Greg, but I believe end cuts on flat keys are better accomplished on a machine like the old Ilco Minute rather than the turret model. See thumbnail image attached, also a screen print from the Pg. 9 of the Minute Manual, the entire pdf manual was unfortunately too large to upload. If interested, PM me with your eMail address and I can send you the complete pdf Minute Manual.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IlcoMinute2.jpg   ToCutEndCutsOnFlatKeys.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Sorry Greg, but I believe end cuts on flat keys are better accomplished on a machine like the old Ilco Minute rather than the turret model. See thumbnail image attached, also a screen print from the Pg. 9 of the Minute Manual, the entire pdf manual was unfortunately too large to upload. If interested, PM me with your eMail address and I can send you the complete pdf Minute Manual.

Pete Schifferli

Thanks Pete! When I saw a pushkey in the image on simon-says website for the types of keys that can be cut on the 6-1/2 I hoped there was a "simple" solution.

Regards,
    Greg

Thread Information