Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Anthony, the number 28878 relates to production during 1906 so missed out in the maker's books. The List 2 is the second quality with the List 1 having been a fire-resisting chest with lid and carrying handles. I attach an illustration giving a brief description.

Attachment 19934 It deserves the best.
    Hi safeman,
    As always, many thanks for your help.
    I didn't realise the significance of the 'safeman' username until I understood your standing and read through your site.
    All very interesting and thank you for that.
    Thank you for your help and information also.
    Although I almost hate myself for this, I am keeping the safe and so have decided to put my own 'theme' on it?
    I am keeping everything original except for the paintwork, it is paint and can be changed when I'm gone :-)
    Taking lots of photographs along the way so when complete, will post them on this site and maybe get burned, who knows?
    Once again, many thanks for your help and information, it is greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Anthony.

That fixed drawer unit in the centre, per the illustration from a catalogue, was actually very useful, and a pain.

A pain because if you wanted to put something big inside, it could prevent you from doing it.

Useful, because a hand hole attack would give access to only half the contents. I remember in the days when I had access to unlimited amounts of armour plate. We had a safe which was quite large. I had a shelf welded in the middle of the body. The shelf was 10mm of either B555 or IT100, I don't remember which. Try cutting that!

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    That fixed drawer unit in the centre, per the illustration from a catalogue, was actually very useful, and a pain.

A pain because if you wanted to put something big inside, it could prevent you from doing it.

Useful, because a hand hole attack would give access to only half the contents. I remember in the days when I had access to unlimited amounts of armour plate. We had a safe which was quite large. I had a shelf welded in the middle of the body. The shelf was 10mm of either B555 or IT100, I don't remember which. Try cutting that!
    I don't actually have that fixed drawer in the illustration? If you look at the attached pic, I only have a plywood shelf that was obviously put in after?
    It doesn't look as though anything has been removed though?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg  

There was usually a range of extras that could be bought with a safe: shelves, cupboards etc. The basic model had nothing.

Thread Information