Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello from Anthony UK. Could I please obtain some advice on John Tann - List 2 Safe

Hi,
    Firstly, thank you all in advance for any advice you may be able to give me. I am a complete novice but I have purchased a John Tann – List 2 Safe. Although I know nothing about safes, I am a very experienced steel fabrication engineer which may be a decent start?
    The safe is open (Please see attached photographs) but the keys are lost. I have to remove the locking mechanism and take it to my local locksmith.
    Before I go doing things I know nothing about and causing damage, could anyone help me in the procedure for removing the locking mechanism? It appears that it ‘may’ be a simple case of removing the bolts from the inside of the door and then removing the mechanism but having never done this, I would rather have some expert advice beforehand.
    In addition, I will need to have keys cut by my locksmith, but does anyone know of where or if, it is possible to obtain as close as possible, replica blanks?
    I am not at all interested in the value of the safe, I bought it because as soon as I saw it, I fell in love with it. Having said that, I also don’t want to depreciate its prestige and wondered, if I restore it to its former glory, would that be hugely detrimental to it? It would be a real shame to do something detrimental?
    I would like to know what particular type of paint was used, it looks to me as a regular enamel finish but not sure?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated and once again, many thanks in advance for any help available.
    Kindest regards.
    Anthony.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   5.jpg   9.jpg  

Thread Information