Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Strongbox lock identification Herring or Chubb?

Hi,
    I am new to the Forum. I need some help in identifying a lock and its age.
    So time ago, I bought strongbox with its original key at an estate sale. The Box measures 20 X 15" X 13" and weighs 126 lbs. it has triangular handles on each end. I believe the box was made by Herring of New York. I am attaching several pictures.
    From what I have seen on earlier postings, my lock may be Herring made Chubb 1828 look-alike. The lock is a self contained lever lock without the Detector.
    A note of interest in the picture of the lock's cover plate, you will see the original brass key. You will also note regarding the screws. Screw in upper right corner has one punched dot on screw and one punched dot on plate next to it. Upper left corner screw has two dots punched on it and two dots punched on plate next to it. Lower left screw has thee dots punched on it and three dots punched on plate next to it. The screw in the lower right corner has no dots on it.
    I would appreciate if someone could help me to identify the maker of the box, the lock and the its age.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ttt.jpg   fff.jpg   vvv.jpg  

Cant help with who made it, but it's certainly not Chubb.

Post Strongbox lock identification Herring or Chubb

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Cant help with who made it, but it's certainly not Chubb.
    I thank you for your thoughts on this. I just have no idea as to where to look for an answer.

Do you have any thoughts regarding the "dots" scribed on the three screws? I have been told they may mean that the screws were possibly hand made or lathe cut.
    Screw slots appear to have been cut with hacksaw. Bracket screws attaching lock to front of box show off-center slot cuts and uneven thread angle cuts.
    Any thought on key?
    Thank you again.

The dots are the standard way to mark the position of the screws. There should be also dots next to the screw holes. The same number of dots should be paired. This is the case on your last photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    The dots are the standard way to mark the position of the screws. There should be also dots next to the screw holes. The same number of dots should be paired. This is the case on your last photo.
    Does this say anything about whether screws are hand made, lathe cut. They definitely don't appear machine
    made.
    Than you for your reply.

It does probably not say anything about the production method. Have seen it on screws from the 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    It does probably not say anything about the production method. Have seen it on screws from the 1960s.

Believe it to have belonged to American Civil War Union Commanding Officer. Used for personal effects.
    At least that old.

In Herring's 1866 catalog there is pictured a similar box, but the handles are a bit different. But you are definitely in the ballpark on the dating. Possibly even a decade or two earlier.

Post Strongbox lock Identification Herring or Chubb

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    In Herring's 1866 catalog there is pictured a similar box, but the handles are a bit different. But you are definitely in the ballpark on the dating. Possibly even a decade or two earlier.
    Hi Doug, I was hoping I would hear from you. What do you think about the origin of the lock? Its looks so similar to your Attached Thumbnail, but without a Detector in your earlier prison lock posting, even though mine is a self contained lock and you thumbnail was for a safe door. I firmly believe it is a Herring box. Where can I get copy of 1866 Catalog? I have seen a gillion strongboxes on ebay and other sites and not one has top latch like mine. I have been told the brass key is unique. Also key hole is on front. Been told screws I just need to sit down and pick your brain!.
    Many more question. Can't get program and computer and me on same page.
    Will wait hopeful for your reply.

Default Strongbox lock identification Herring or Chubb

Doug please forgive me for cutting out on you last night. I would complete my reply and hit send, well screen told me that I was not connected to wi-fi. Lost most all of reply several times and eventually wi-fi.

Back to box. What do you think about "dots" on screws and on lock cover and bracket attaching lock to front of box? Been told this might mean handmade or at least lathe cut screws. (a dating point) I have some good pictures of screws showing uneven angle and thread cut and how slot in top of screw was cut sometimes off center by hacksaw. Threads aren't sharp.

Have been told that key might be distinct to certain maker.

Under side of box shows signs on rusting but no threat to integrity of box. Name of original owner (?) can still be made out. Box on loan to climate control environment. Never coming home.

Original owner raised less than 80 miles from you. At one time he passed within 10 miles of my home

Thread Information