Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default American Steam Safe

All,
    New member here. Fascinating articles here.

I have an old American Steam Safe Co safe that has and opening problem. I have the combination, and it does open, but the bottom locking pin doesn't seem to retract fully into the door when opening. Its really hard to open. I have to kind of jerk and pull at the same time. Any input? I don't really want a safe tech to complete as I don't really want to spend any money on it and I would hate to trim the bolt and butcher up this old safe. I am although very handy and think I could figure it out by taking off the back panel, I just don't what I would be getting into if I do.

Any history on this safe would be great as well. Age?

Thank you,
    dtd24
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0508181353a_resized.jpg   0508181356_resized.jpg   0508181353_resized.jpg  

Get a grip of the strap bolts. It shouldn't be difficult to get round the problem.

I remember an old Milner, where someone had loosened the straps because the door was sticking. What should have been done was to sort out the boltwork. It isn't rocket science!

Looked at my safe a bit more last night. Sprayed some white lithium on the locking pins. I do think the hinges could be shimmed some how. I see the door is a bit out of alignment. I figured out how the door comes off, but boy is it heavy.

In regards to the locking pin not fully retracting, they are certainly connected together as when i push it in the others move. I think ill try to remove the cover this weekend.

Pics of problem child locking pin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0509182322_resized.jpg   0509182323_resized.jpg   0509182323a_resized.jpg  

Talking

Fixed. I took off the back plate, to revel someone had already messed with this and butchered the hell out of it to get to this piece. Tightened up the 2 screws and it instantly re-aligned the bolts. I did some clean-up of the hacking, closed up the back plate, opens like a dream. Hinges out of place a bit, but once closed the door aligns. Done......until they need tightening again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0512181104.jpg   0512181105.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dtd24 View Post
    Done......until they need tightening again.
    Use a pin-punch in the csk screw slots to drive them round tighter and really torque them up. You shouldn't have to worry about repeatedly re-tightening them.

Thread Information