Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    Safeman, thank you for all your help. Do you know if the Kromer KC, or equivalent is still available. Does anyone manufacture an electronic replacement for the Kromer. If you had to replace this lock what would your preferences be.
    Sorry but lock details such as you want are out of my sphere of expertise. Hopefully you will get some assistance from other members of the forum. It could be that there are a few alternatives with the same footprint.

My apologies, i meant a combination lock. I believe it had a four wheel combo, may have been a S&G not sure. This is what i am trying to replace. I would greatly appreciate any input you can provide

Is it a standard S&G magic module format? Or is it bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    Is it a standard S&G magic module format? Or is it bigger?
    I have looked at a lot of marketing on the different Tann models of the same period, The only reference i can find on the locks is that it is a S&G and it is a four number combination. Not having worked with many of these i do not know if the three wheel pack has the same footprint as the four and if it is, what model i should use to replace the missing one.

Three and four have the same foot print. They are just thicker.

What means KC? Key changeable?
    Keyless Combination lock

Three and four have the same foot print. They are just thicker.
    Thank you for your help, do you know of a digital combination that i could use instead of mechanical, or should i stay with mechanical.

I haven't paid much attention to foreign safe ratings, so no help there. I did very recently open a very similar looking Swedish Tann that turned out to be a labeled TRTL30X6. If your safe does not have a UL burglary label,. I would use a 3 wheel S&G 6730 lock, and a big NO on using an electronic lock. Depending on door thickness, you may need a longer spindle than what normally comes with the lock.

Default Tann Old style

You have a old style Tann shovel handle type TRTL30x6. The safe was imported in the
    late 1970's to the late 1980's . The missing lock is a S&G 6741 4 wheel lock. The door should be around 5 1/4" thick. This is from the face to the bed plate of the lock area.
    You can used a electronic lock. The locks that most used on this style of door are S&G titan pivot or direct drive . You can use Amsec ESLXL 10 or 20 also, Kaba. Just check the measurement of the door face to the lock body area. Also you can put a S&G 8500
    type mechanic lock on it . hope this helps Tim

Tim, I think you mean a 6731 not 6741. Also as I remember, a group 1 lock was required on a TRTL30X6, and I don't remember a 4 wheel 6731 qualifying as a Group 1 lock, but it has been a long time since I looked at the ratings. However, not having the UL label ( or does it?), any lock will suffice. To my knowledge, the 3 wheel S&G 6730 is a more reliable lock than any you listed, but then again I am old fashioned.

Thread Information