Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new milners and some questions

Hi guys. i founded a very cool milners old safe in central Paris, something that I would have never thought of finding so close to me. a sympathetic old lady sold it and told me the history : buy by this gran-grand father new and always use by men in his family. for this one sure i didn't do repaint, just a cleaning and perhaps a varnish but no more. after consider safeman advice, i am now convicted by something very close to original condition, thanks for that monsieur !
    curiously this one has been the hardest to move. i was very optimist but i was wrong. an half day work to load it. my other milners and the big chubb was larger and i think heavier but this one..... probably the round corner/slick surface.. anyway i am very happy and damn it i am a big fan of milners, they have un je ne sais quoi.
    if a cool safe lover is here and can give all detail i will be the happiest man for this week end. the pull brass handle is broke and missing so i research one, offers welcome, the lock lever have a unpleasant shaft play : i tried to remove it to fix by outside but the screw come and the lever don't, i let it as this for now. original keys come with and the number of the safe engraving on the upper pivot is : 101174AF2160, the rear door panel seem to be in original condition and never open.

merci beaucoup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MILNERS 1.jpg   MILNERS 2.jpg   MILNERS 3.jpg   MILNERS 4.jpg  

Default Milner List 2 1920.

Stephane,

You will find the specification for this List 2 in my reply to Mark1 on the 24th of March #10 for his identical safe under the heading "help with Milner safe please" the only difference being that yours was made in 1920.

thanks safeman for details, much appreciate, i expected older that 1920 ! do you know the weight ?

thanks

Is there a number struck into the top edge of the door? If so that would give the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    thanks safeman for details, much appreciate, i expected older that 1920 ! do you know the weight ?

thanks
    Assuming the safe to be around 28 inches high, the weight will be approximately 250 kgs.
    Great to have all the original keys.
    I don't understand the problem you are having with the door key - can you explain ?

No chubby, i ve checked well but nothing and there is not a big coat of paint so don’t think other numbers than those on the pivot are present
    Could you explain the ‘list’ designation in the milners product ? I am a little bit lost because this ´list 2´ is 35 years more recent that my list 3
    I assumed the ´list’ number sticky to the year evolution so higher number be more recent

No, list has nothing to do with date of manufacture. It refers to the quality of the safe and the use for which it was intended.

Thanks guys for explains. I don’t have problem with the lock, keylock work very smoother but the hand lever has an unpleasant ´play’ : it move lateraly probably the over using from decade. The old lady told me his grandfather/father used it several times by day. And The round escutcheon turn arround the lever. I can live with something look the antique age but with the mechanical side i prefer something work perfectly. And with this serious play i don’t know if the lock system could be block something in closed position. Probably a slim spacer behind the lever will fix it.

Yes, you just need to find where the play is happening and pack it accordingly. It isn't rocket science!

Yes chubby i am just brake with that because i need to remove the internal panel and Screws are cover by original paint. No way by outside.

Thread Information