Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Yes chubby i am just brake with that because i need to remove the internal panel and Screws are cover by original paint. No way by outside.
    From your description it sounds as if the handle is loose on the spindle. If this is correct and assuming that you have tightened the screw on the side of the handle, it should be possible to make a shim from a piece of tin to take up the space between spindle and handle on the outside.

If I understand the problem correctly I suggest that you cut a strip of tin (can) the width of the spindle and long enough to cover the top, end and partly underneath the spindle before lightly hammering the handle back over the shim till it reaches the rose and the fixing hole is re-aligned.

Do not force it if it appears to be too tight as it will be very difficult to remove the handle again. Just remove the lower part of the shim and it should then fit over the spindle tightly.

It is unlikely that the 'follower' on the inside of the spindle is loose unless the spinle itself is worn.

Yes chubby i am just brake with that because i need to remove the internal panel and Screws are cover by original paint. No way by outside.

yes safeman you are right. but impossible to remove the handle and i do not want damage it. i will go through the back. there is some fine pure white "dust" pretty much everywhere, would it be asbestos ?

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    yes safeman you are right. but impossible to remove the handle and i do not want damage it. i will go through the back. there is some fine pure white "dust" pretty much everywhere, would it be asbestos ?
    Stephane, I don't understand why you cannot remove the handle. Is this because it is not the actual handle that is loose? If you wish to remove it you may like to try the following. Remove the screw (shown arrowed). While pulling strongly on the lower part of the handle, with a soft faced hammer tap the top of the handle downwards while jerking the handle outwards. The 'rose' under the handle is not attached but held in position by the handle.

I have also attached a picture which shows what the inside of the handle mechanism looks like and the lugs to which the fire chamber is screwed. The follower may be fixed to the spindle by a tapered pin.

The dust will not be asbestos. More likely fine alkali dust from the fire-proofing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milner handle.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	554.7 KB 
ID:	19826 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner lock and spindle.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	19827

[QUOTE]The dust will not be asbestos. More likely fine alkali dust from the fire-proofing.
    /QUOTE]
    perfect Safeman, my vacuum is not going to die.
    the lever was to tight on the axle so i remove the panel and placed a washer behind the massive piece in which the axis of the lever enters. as the lever was removed i placed in the bench vise and heat a bit then the lever come from axle. the rose seem to not be original because the number engraving isn't safe's one. i took the opportunity to clean the inside, inspect the lock : very good one, heavy and smoother.
    all is now replace and work well without plays in the handle. only 4 small screws are now visible when the door is open but no drama.

inside photos of the list 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails INTERIEUR LIST 2.jpg   VERROU LIST 2.jpg   SERRURE LIST 2.jpg  

Af2160
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails milner af 2160.jpg   milner af2143.jpg  

Thread Information