Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Keys for Perreymond Brevete

Almost finished with these keys. I knew they would be difficult, and I surely wasn't disappointed. The smallest is about 2-1/2" and 5" on the big one. Each key was made from a single piece of steel. The large key started out as a 7" x 2-1/2" X 3/4" chunk. To hold the steel in the lathe between centers, extra length was needed at both ends. So the steel was laid out with dye and center drilled at each end. Also drilled for the pin. Next step was cutting out much of the excess with the band saw and some chain drilling. At each end enough was cut off to fit on a lathe dog. Now set up on the lathe, the turning can be and should be completed. The extra length at the bit end should also be turned down round to the same diameter as the shaft. This helps to properly establish the round area under the bit that is filed down by hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180325_111559183_960x1280.jpg   IMG_20180325_112633186_960x1280.jpg   IMG_20180325_112706638_1280x960.jpg  

Much of the ward cutting was done with a slotter wheel in the mill. However the internal cuts were done by first using a tiny drill and a jewelers saw. And then an unbelievable amount of hand filing. I have not had original keys to inspect, but I have grave doubts that these keys were made in this same manner in the early 1800's. I am thinking lost wax casting, but no one seems to know for sure.

Awesome!

I have keys in this style for simple warded locks in furniture. They are made from steel and look like the blanks had been cast in a two-part mould.

It annoys me when people say they can't get skilled work done nowadays. What they usually mean is that they are too mean to pay for skilled work!

Be careful when you do that. Sometimes the old screws have sharp edges- they would put them in, and then grind them. I used, sometimes, to tap out the holes to a modern thread size and fit modern allen screws.

Thread Information