Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default what's this beauty ?

Hi guys. again under my lucky star i founded yesterday a very rare (in france obviously) kind small safe than never i expected found. in local ad at only 5kms of my location. phone call at 18h, rendez vous at 19h the safe was at home at 19h45. the fastest coolest deal i ever made for a price close to nothing. not in good cosmetic condition but work fine. i frequently saw them on the web and was planned an US trip to bring back with this compact beauty and a cannonball so now a (small) half of this job is done. i am very hot for all information on this and the builder because there is no indication on the manufacturer and don't have idea on the building period. just oct 2.88 engraving ont the roulette ! I am very surprised because it seems older than that.
    thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails us safe 1.jpg   us safe 2.jpg   us safe 3.jpg   us safe 4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Hi guys. again under my lucky star i founded yesterday a very rare (in france obviously) kind small safe than never i expected found. in local ad at only 5kms of my location. phone call at 18h, rendez vous at 19h the safe was at home at 19h45. the fastest coolest deal i ever made for a price close to nothing. not in good cosmetic condition but work fine. i frequently saw them on the web and was planned an US trip to bring back with this compact beauty and a cannonball so now a (small) half of this job is done. i am very hot for all information on this and the builder because there is no indication on the manufacturer and don't have idea on the building period. just oct 2.88 engraving ont the roulette ! I am very surprised because it seems older than that.
    thanks in advance
    I think that is 19th century, 1888.
    BBE

Default Victor Safe & Lock Company

"I am very surprised because it seems older than that."

Anything mfg. 100 years ago is old/antique in the USA. Nothing like the history of European countries.

The patent date on the roulette/dial refers to US patent #390528

I have a "very old" Victor catalog. If you give me exterior measurements I may be able to provide you with more info.

DH

Just for reference; A Victor I have has the same patent date on the dial with the serial number 13474 and on the inside door cover the newest patent is June 1889 so it was built after that. I have no idea why mine has a 5 digit number or why yours has 6. I wonder how many they built in a year? I also have no clue how Victor issued the numbers. With Mosler, the serial numbers were issued in order across all styles of safes and were documented in a ledger from 1886 to 1992. It is very easy to date a Mosler.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5225.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	19746 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5227.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	19747

thanks guys for aid. actually it's 1888, I lost my way because as the interior was in concrete I estimated it around 1920/1930, then the 88 disturb me because i consider 1988 !as you see i am not expert ! David, for me too a safe over 100 year is antique. that strange to note all safes i have and do trip me are between 1800/1900.
    anyway i am impressed by the simplicity and efficiency of this safe, look like a toy but very well made (that's my opinion) i am not a psycho lock or security level, just the look, and this one is perfect.
    once again stupid people painted over the original work but impossible to save, too much rust. ultra disappointed.
    so definitely a Victor safe ? i will be proud to restore very close to original, the outside measurement are :
    high : 17.5" / 44.5cms
    width : 13.5" / 34.5cms
    depth : 15" / 38cms
    high with wheels : 21 3/4" / 55cms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails us safe 5.jpg   us safe 6.jpg  

Yes, Victor Safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Victor.jpg   8 copy.jpg  

thanks David for info, much appreciate.

hi, after removed the paint and rust of my beauty i founded this numbers on the upper pivot door. curiously this is exactly what i need to open. chance ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails victor.jpg  

Hi guys, i finished the victor restoration. for the first time my wife find a safe pretty so no divorce case with it ! now just want the same a little bit bigger. i have had an issue with it on the inside paint job : when i bought it the safe was outside and rain fall on, so now parts of paint inside go away but no drama i will do some small retouch. yet I left it outside open for a long time in the sun before the work but apparently not long enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails victor1.jpg   victor2.jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Hi guys, i finished the victor restoration. for the first time my wife find a safe pretty so no divorce case with it !
    Brilliant job Stephane that looks great, good news about the wife too, they're definitely both keepers! Happy days :-D

Thread Information