Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with Milners Safe please

This Milners Safe is one of three Safes I recently acquired from a local demolition site, They kindly let me have them for scrap value, although they are worth a lot more to me.

The Mlners Safe sadly has no keys. The numbers on the top door hinge are as follows 13457 and underneath are the numbers and letters AH634. I will attach some pictures as I am not 100% sure I've got them right? Many thanks in advance for any help/information you can give me about this Safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milners 1.jpg   Milners 2.jpg   milners 5.jpg   milners 6.jpg  

Is it "no keys, open" or "no keys, closed"? The later is probably more fun. Is the asbestos warning real?

The asbestos warning is probably just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    Is it "no keys, open" or "no keys, closed"? The later is probably more fun. Is the asbestos warning real?
    Good Evening, Unfortunately for me it's no keys closed! As for the Asbestos warning to be honest I'm not sure? It hasn't been drilled so I think they must have presumed or know for sure. It was from a Factory demolition and apparently they took six months to remove all the asbestos before they could start the demolition.

So maybe it is just a (possible) asbestos contamination from the building.

Without prejudice, I would be surprised if there were any asbestos in it.

Default Hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    So maybe it is just a (possible) asbestos contamination from the building.
    Hopefully, But regardless I don't intend to break into the body of the Safe, so hopefully if there is any in there it will stay sealed inside.

Let sleeping dogs lie. Other than a hand hole or similar attack by a criminal it is rare to see the side of a safe opened. There are just much better ways of getting in.

Default Definately

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Let sleeping dogs lie. Other than a hand hole or similar attack by a criminal it is rare to see the side of a safe opened. There are just much better ways of getting in.
    Yes, I totally agree Chubby

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    This Milners Safe is one of three Safes I recently acquired from a local demolition site, They kindly let me have them for scrap value, although they are worth a lot more to me.

The Mlners Safe sadly has no keys. The numbers on the top door hinge are as follows 13457 and underneath are the numbers and letters AH634. I will attach some pictures as I am not 100% sure I've got them right? Many thanks in advance for any help/information you can give me about this Safe.
    Mark, the safe code prefix AH refers to a manufacture date of 1902 and I attach a copy of the relevant leaflet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner List 2.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	19750The body thickness will be 3/16ths of an inch (4.764 mm). The door plate will be ⅜" thickened to ⅝" at the edges by 2¼"x 2¼"x ¼" angle forming lockcase. There will be a ⅜" ply-steel drill-resisting plate over the lock area.

Thread Information